Dear Lakeside Community,
Happy Friday! Taste Nutrition lunches and Pizza Lunch Day began this week. A huge thanks to our PTA for their leadership and support. We're always looking for assistance with our lunch programs.
for more information on
how you can get involved.
Food = yellowjacket bait. Its been pretty crazy out there with yellowjackets. We're working hard to address the yellowjacket issue near the eating area. As they ramp up, we've been moving students away from the area and are putting in more traps. If you have any great home remedies, let us know!
In case you haven't visited our garden recently, the trees are plentiful with apples. And the monarchs are back! Thank you for the great monarch updates along with the garden volunteer leadership,
Do you have two days a month where you can volunteer during lunchtime? I'm always looking for opportunities for students and found a great math competition. I'd need some parent help so students could do the online competitions twice a month. Grades 3-5. Please
We're finding ourselves a bit short on substitute teachers. Yet, we know you know substitutes and some of you might have the 30 day substitute credential. We are grateful for having subs when our staff are out sick or need to do assessments, like DIBELS.
We have a need for a few more subs. Please ask around. Our subs make $130/day and its a great place to be a guest teacher!
Accountability in CA is changing....rapidly. You may recall the old "API" or Academic Performance Index that was somewhere in the 500-1000 range (Lakeside was well into the 900s.) That measure was suspended by the legislature some two and a half year ago. The State Board of Education is working on a replacement system with key elements for a
new and distinct school accountability system.
to read more from EdSource.
met on Wednesday night. Here is a review of the discussions/decisions. The minutes will be approved at the next meeting but the agenda and presentations are accessible
for your review.
- Instructional Materials Public Hearing - we have all required materials for each child - Board approved instructional materials report
- Consultant report presented on characteristics desired of a Superintendent and culture overview of Lakeside - no action taken
- Presentation options on possible future actions for Lakeside, including parcel tax, continue with existing funding, territory transfer, and lapsation - no action taken
- Parcel Tax Ad Hoc Committee - shared information about recent survey and brief the Board on ongoing discussions - no action taken
- Instructional programs and student services overview, including Special Education, literacy, pull out programs, and counseling - no action taken
- Interdistrict Attendance Policy - Board approved an administrative regulation on components of attendance policies for students wanting to attend school in Lakeside
- Unaudited Actuals from 2015/16 presented - Board approved report
- Gann Limits and resolution - Board approved
It is important to note that there were
some public misconceptions that were vocalized at the Board meeting on Wednesday night. There was never an intent to have a new playground solely funded by the school district. The plan was for estimates to be drawn up with drafts of a new playground, with those used to seek external funding, including any available grants and donations from the community. Without significant external funding, there will be no new playground.
Hope to see you for the
Family Picnic at 5 pm on Saturday night and Movie Night following at 6:30 pm. Thank you to our PTA for hosting what will be another great Lakeside event.
a HUGE thank you to the Loma Prieta Community Foundation for it contribution of $1,000 towards the transfer switch that was recently donated and installed in the Community Center. The grant was from their
Mountain Emergency Response Corps Fund (MERC) and will be used in emergencies and with power outages. Being that Lakeside is a Red Cross Emergency Shelter, this transfer switch was critical to our site providing support for the Lakeside and Loma Prieta communities.
Dr. Lisa Gonzales
Interim Superintendent & Lead Learner