Spicy Spanish Spaghetti with Sausage and Mussels
Recipe of the Month
1 lb. mussels
4 oz. spaghetti
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 oz. dried cured spicy chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 roasted red pepper, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 cup dry white wine
Large pinch saffron threads
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Lemon wedges, for serving
- Scrub mussels if needed and remove any beards. Discard any mussels with cracked shells and any that do not close when tapped; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium-high heat; cook sausage, onion, roasted pepper, garlic and smoked paprika for 2 to 3 minutes or until sausage starts to brown. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in wine and stir in saffron threads; simmer for about 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in passata; bring to boil.
- Add mussels; cover and reduce to simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes or until mussels open; discard any mussels that do not open.
- Add pasta and parsley to pan; toss well. Serve with lemon wedges.
- To roast red pepper: Broil pepper on foil-lined tray until charred all over. Transfer to bowl; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Let cool slightly and remove skin. (Alternatively, grill pepper over high heat.)
Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 327 calories, 11 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 508 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g sugars, 19 g protein
A Pasta Fits original recipe.