Monthly News & Updates
April 2021
Highland Village General Election - Early Voting Begins April 19
A General Election will be held on May 1, 2021, for the purpose of electing City Council Members to Places 3, 5 and 7. During the early voting period, residents may vote at any Denton County polling location, including the Highland Village Municipal Complex located at 1000 Highland Village Road. Early voting will be conducted during the following dates and times:

Monday, April 19 - Saturday, April 24 - 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 25 - 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Monday, April 26 - Tuesday, April 27 - 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

On Election Day, Highland Village residents will vote at the Highland Village Municipal Complex. Election Day is Saturday May 1, 2021, during the hours of 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.  
Living in North Texas, at some point you have all heard the sound of what has been commonly called “Tornado Sirens." The decision to activate these sirens is part of a comprehensive planning model designed by Highland Village Public Safety officials.

What do the sirens mean?
The correct name for these sirens is “Emergency Outdoor Warning Siren." The sirens are intended for exactly that - to warn citizens participating in “outdoor activities” of pending severe weather conditions. Once the warning sounds, citizens are encouraged to:

  • Immediately seek shelter!
  • Tune into national/local news service (television or radio)
  • Prepare for possible emergency

It is important to understand that these sirens are not intended to be heard within the confines of a structure. So how will you be notified of severe weather? Sign up for the CivicReady alerting system. If time allows, prior to siren activation, you will receive a message alerting you of pending severe weather conditions. You can choose if you want to receive email. text messages or phone calls.
Spring Yard Work
Cleaning up your yard and preparing for the Spring growing season? Community Waste Disposal picks up yard waste for the entire City every Monday. Remember:
  • Loose yard waste must be placed in the brown Kraft bags
  • CWD will collect up to 20 bags
Brush not in the brown bags must be:
  • Bundled and tied
  • Cut no longer than 4 feet
  • Bundles should weigh no more than 50 lbs.
More details can be found here.
Highland Village Has a Solicitor Ordinance
Anyone who wishes to solicit within the city or from door to door must first obtain a permit from the city. Religious, political or nonprofit organizations and their representatives are exempt from permit requirements. Solicitors are required to have their city permit displayed while soliciting and must display the permit upon request by any person. If you are concerned about a solicitor at your door, do not answer the door. If you are in doubt of the validity of any permit, contact police dispatch for verification at 972-317-6551 (non-emergency number) or 911 if it is an emergency.

More information on the Solicitor Ordinance and Permit, including allowed days and hours for soliciting, can be found here.
Please remember that all dogs must be on a leash in Highland Village. Yes, even if your fur baby is friendly. It’s not just the law, it also shows respect for other people and dogs in your community. Loose dogs are at great risk of becoming lost, injured, or killed and they can be a nuisance or threat to people and other animals. Keep your pet and community safe by obeying the leash law. Oh, and don't forget to pick up after them and dispose of the bag in your trash can or a public trash can.
Potholes that need filling, standing water issues, parks or trails that need cleaning can be reported using your iPhone or Android smartphone through the Eye on Highland Village application by searching GoRequest in your app store.

Once the application has been downloaded, simply open, select the issue, take a picture, and tap submit. Eye on Highland Village picks up the exact location and sends the issue directly to the appropriate staff member to fix it. You can track your submitted issues and, if you enter a valid email address, receive notification when the issue is resolved.
Do You Need Flood Insurance?
Whether you are in a high risk zone or not, you may need flood insurance because most homeowners insurance doesn't cover flood damage. If you live in an area with low or moderate flood risk, you are five times more likely to experience flood than a fire in your home over the next 30 years. You can check to see if your property is in a flood zone by accessing FEMA Flood Map Service Center (MSC), the official public source for flood hazard information produced in support of National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Use the MSC to find your official flood map, access a range of other flood hazard products, and take advantage of tools for better understanding flood risk and protect your property.