Mr. John Wink
Carthage in Panola County, is located in deep East Texas. We are 38 miles west of Shreveport, Louisiana; 30 miles south of Longview, Texas; and 65 miles east of Tyler, Texas. Carthage ISD covers 630 square miles with bus routes covering 2,450 miles each day.
2,700 students Pre-Kindergarten – High School
School Campus Configuration:
Carthage Primary serves PK-1; Libby Elementary has grades 2-3; Baker Koonce Intermediate houses 4-6; Carthage Junior High serves 7-8; and grades 9-12 are at Carthage High School.
What are your district's points of pride?
- New Performing Arts Center with 2,038 seating capacity to host regional events
- Outdoor Classroom at Libby Elementary
- Outdoor Garden at Baker Koonce Intermediate with support from OT Students
- Six times State Football Champions
- Technology Students Association – 2nd in State and 8th in National Awards in 2019 with 13 State Championships overall
- CHS-TV is one of the top high school broadcast programs in Texas
- Education Foundation funded over $180,000 in grants in 2019
- Champions Closet created in 2019 to provide clothing and toiletries to students in need
What makes your school district/community unique?
- Home to the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame
- Home to the late Jim Reeves and Tex Ritter, Hall of Fame Country Stars
- Home of the national renowned artisan, Bob Harness
- Majority of teaching staff and all 7 board members are CHS Alumni
- Strong community support for the school district’s initiatives
What challenges does your district face?
- Stagnant enrollment growth
- Finding certified teachers in critical shortage areas
- Uncertainty of values associated with oil and gas industry