The CAVC Board of Directors advances our mission across Ventura County as a collective of like-minded individuals across private and public sectors who are committed to strengthening pathways out of poverty in all of our communities.
In our new Board Member Spotlight series, we ask Board members about who they are and why they support CAVC. Our first Spotlight features Jayn Walter, Case Manager at Help of Ojai Community Assistance Program.
- Name: Jayn Walter
- Occupation: Case Manager, Help of Ojai Community Assistance Program
- Sector/Community Representing on the Board: Low Income
- Member of the Board since: September 2020
CAVC: Why did you join the CAVC Board of Directors?
- JW: I was introduced to CAVC’s work through their HEAP team, who utilize our office as an outreach site in Ojai. I was so impressed by their work I went online and looked for ways to get involved with the organization. I have a Master’s degree in Nonprofit Management, and felt serving on the CAVC board would be a great way to contribute my knowledge and skills while also representing the community I serve in the Ojai Valley.
CAVC: What inspires you most about CAVC?
- JW: The commitment to community wellness.
CAVC: What is one program or service CAVC offers that is particularly meaningful to you, and why?
- JW: I love the HEAP program because I have seen firsthand how a utility grant can change someone’s life. Plus the staff is so fun and nice!
CAVC: Describe a day in the life of Jayn Walter:
- JW: Food distribution is a major program at the Community Assistance Program, so I begin most workdays by either picking up a food donation or collating food boxes to distribute to community members. Our office spends the first half of the day handing out food from our office and answering client questions. Since COVID, I found I spend a lot of my time on the phone, touching base with clients and ensuring they have the resources they need. I usually wrap up around 5pm and then head home to hang out with my husband and our two dogs. We walk dogs, make dinner and I watch my favorite tv shows before I call it a day!
CAVC: What is one goal you have for yourself in 2022?
- JW: I’m expecting my first child in December, so my goal for 2022 is to thrive as new parent and professional!