Below is from Old Elgin A Pictorial History by E. C. Alft
In the absence of architects in Elgin's early years, builders used design books for which the prospective owners could make selections. David Whitney Bangs recalled that he "built the house in sement (sic) that Tuck lives in 1850 and finished it in 1852." The house is still standing at 118 Tennyson Court. A twin was constructed about the same time on the north side on what is now Big Timber Road. The original design was Greek Revival.
Below is from the National Register Application for Historic District status prepared by Bruce Dahlquist and Pat Andrews in 1980.
This is an unusual example of Greek Revival; mixed with Egyptian Revival built in 1852 with concrete exterior walls. There is a simple architrave band which wraps around the house top with 1 1/2 story tall double pilasters on the sides and recessed entryway on the original front of the house. The front entry exhibits a simple, almost primitive massiveness that suggest Egyptian architecture.
Below is from Historic Resources Survey of the Elgin Historic District Allen and Pepa Architects, 2009
This house, which has seen several additions, is a combination of Greek and Egyptian revival. The original entrance to the left of the photograph is reminiscent of the great Egyptian Pylon
(a monumental gateway to an ancient Egyptian temple formed by two truncated pyramidal towers) gateway of the Middle and New Kingdoms. The pilasters (rectangular columns projecting from the walls)are Doric reflecting Greek revival influence. The plan originally had bilateral symmetry. Built by David Bangs this home originally faced Division Street. In 1844 David Bangs bought 3 acres of land surrounding the site. In 1849 a portion of the acreage was sold to Edmund Gifford.
Below is an example of Egyptian architecture in America. The Scottish Rite Temple in Mobile Alabama.