We're back!
All worship services will resume in the church as of
Sunday, February 24
Thanks be to God.

Joseph recognized by his brothers,
François, Gérard (1770-1837)

Sunday, February 24
The Seventh Sunday
after the Epiphany

7:30am Morning Prayer 
8am Said Mass  (Rite I)
9am Sung Mass 
11am Choral Mass 
Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina (c. 1525-1594) Missa Aeterna Christi munera

This Week at Ascension + February 20, 2019


From the Rector
Also From the Rector
Bp. Anderson House Spring Benefit
Sharing Lunch, Sharing Blessings
Ascension Book Group
This Sunday at Ascension
The Parish Prayer List
Approved Vestry Minutes Online
The Last Word


The Ascension Nursery

One day children were brought to Jesus in the hope that he would lay hands on them and pray over them. The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus intervened: "Let the children alone, don't prevent them from coming to me. God's kingdom is made up of people like these." 
Matthew 19:13-15a The Message

Dear People of Ascension,
   God willing, and if everything goes according to plan, the Ascension nursery will open again on Sunday, March 3. Thanks be to God! The nursery will be available from 8:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., for a trial period through May, every Sunday.
   A nearby college student, Joy Haataja (almost like 'Gotcha!' with an 'H'), will begin her service that day. She's one of five girls in her family, regularly cares for a half dozen or more nieces and nephews and also serves as a nanny for a nearby family. Her impressive resume is all about child care.
     One requirement for nursery employment in any parish or other organization in the Diocese of Chicago is certification in the diocesan program known as Keeping God's People Safe. Joy will be completing that certification prior to the start of her Sunday commitment here.
     My thanks to Cheryl Peterson for her advocacy for the nursery, her keeping this hiring search moving forward and, to both Cheryl and DiAnne Walsh, for rolling up their sleeves and giving the nursery a recent thorough cleaning and evaluation that has made us ready to go on Sunday, March 3.

Regarding the Nursery Care and Related Matters ...
For parents of infants and/or toddlers : before bringing your child to the nursery, you'll need to fill out a 'Church Nursery Information Sheet' linked here or available in paper form in a binder in the nursery.
The Keeping God's People Safe values, intention and mandates extend far beyond the nursery and the care provided there. Click on this link to view the Diocese of Chicago Resources related to Reporting Abuse, 'KGPS' Trainings, Background Checks, and more.
Back to Church ... Literally
All worship services will return to the church beginning this Sunday, February 24!
+ Yes! You can help! Please come to Saturday's Mass for Healing, 10:00 a.m., and stay after to help with all the many details that need attention to leave St. Michael Hall and reestablish our worship in the church. Bad back? No problem. There are plenty of little tasks. Hope you can make it.
+ The top photo here gives you a first look at the finished sanctuary arch and replastered/repainted wall above it. Superficially, as you can see, the church doesn't look all that different. But those who have been involved in the sanctuary arch project and who have had a chance to see the work as it's been uncovered over this week have marveled. It looks great.
+ Many extra cleaning hours are being put in as I write this by Marco Patricio (lower left photo). Marco regularly does a great cleaning job for all of us on Thursdays. Our Sexton, George Panice, has removed all plastic coverings (with no further incidents), remounted the Michael shrine, and more.
+ To prepare your hearts, I'm also including to the right, below a photo of the truncated altar spire. Deprato Regali Studios has begun the work of reconstructing the portion of the spire that toppled at the start of this project. We anticipate that the work will be completed sometime in Lent.

+ Special thanks to those of you who have made financial contributions toward one or more aspects of the work: the arch, the spire repair, the sanctuary lamp. I will be personally thanking you soon and, in some cases, clarifying your intentions.

DiAnne Walsh has recently completed a photo book titled Dear Father D , a memorial gift to Father Jim Dunkerley's partner Sal Martinez and to Father D's four siblings in England. The book includes many photos from Father D's years at St. Peter's, and some from his ministry here at Ascension, and a number of reminiscences written since his death in August 2016. The book has a beautifully simple presentation that masks the big endeavor that it represents! You may view Dear Father D here. Many thanks for the creative effort and love, DiAnne.

Chicago Shares, an increasingly common, sensible and faithful way to assist the homeless , was mentioned by parishioner Bob Rarick at our annual meeting. The Chicago Shares website, linked here, includes the following explanation:
Chicagoans purchase Chicago Shares, which are food vouchers, from the website or a local church. The purchaser shares the food vouchers with the homeless and hungry. The voucher recipients then use the vouchers to purchase food and personal care items from our local partners.  These vouchers cannot be exchanged for alcohol or tobacco products.
Thank you, Bob, for the introduction and reminder. 
Feast of St. Matthias the Apostle, Monday, February 25
I'm grateful that Mother Jackie Cameron - Episcopal priest and MD - will be available to say the 6:30 p.m. Mass. Mother Cameron and I have in common Wheaton College (IL), General Seminary (NYC), past connections with LaSalle Street Church (across from Ascension) and ... Church of the Ascension, where she found the Episcopal Church and Anglo-Catholic liturgy and was confirmed in the 1990s. As long as I've known her, she's been an assisting priest at Church of the Atonement, Chicago. She has also combined her vocations as priest and doctor by way of her service to CREDO, a Church Pension program devoted to supporting all-around health of the clergy in the Episcopal Church.

Thanks to all who shared in a meaningful farewell to Father Richard Daly and his wife Diana this past Sunday. They both repeatedly expressed their gratitude for your warmth and for Ascension and for how their faith has been shaped for good here, in Father Daly's case since the 1980s. They'll have a more formal farewell at their longtime 'home parish,' St. Paul's, Riverside, this coming Sunday, February 24, and then begin their transition to Texarkana and ministry at St. James' Church there.

My sermon from this past Sunday, the Sixth Sunday after the Epiphany, includes a few remarks about Father Daly that didn't seem to embarrass him unduly, and you may read it here.

This Sunday or next, please bring to the church any palms you may have at home or elsewhere from past Palm Sunday processions. We'll burn and pulverize them to make the ashes for this year's March 6 Ash Wednesday liturgies. (The photo is my own from the 2005 Palm Sunday procession in San Miguel de Allende, where our family was blessed with a sabbatical.)

Please keep Paul Foster in mind and prayers. He has had a long affection for and affinity with Ascension (of course-he an organist) but has recently lived in Cleveland. He's hoping to move back to Chicago and continues to look for a safe, affordable apartment. If you have any thoughts or leads he'd be pleased to receive an email from you

Healing One-Healing the World,  our spring benefit, comes to the Chicago Cultural Center on Sunday, May 19, 2019, 5 to 8 p.m. Featuring spectacular views of Millennium Park, specialty drinks and dining, and a Teddy Bear surprise, this is always an evening to remember.
This year we celebrate the successful completion of our Campaign for the next 70 years, and are honored to present the Marion Faldet Volunteer of the Year Award to our very special guests, Dr. Toyin Falusi Adeyemi and Rev. David O. Kyllo.
Save $25 per person today. Price per ticket now through March 15 is $125.  Purchase now.  After March 15, ticket price per person will be $150.00.

Please mark your calendar for our next meeting on Wednesday, March 13th.   Since this will be our first meeting during the season of Lent, we will gather to sample a variety of vegetarian dishes.  More details about these tasty items will be forthcoming in the future.  We will be sure to include some yummy mashed potatoes for all of you who especially love them!  And we will share stories of our favorite Ascension and Lenten traditions.  Comments or thoughts can be given to Cheryl Peterson, 773-322-7995. 

For February the Ascension Book Group will continue to read  The Pillars of the Earth (1989) by Ken Follett (b. 1949).  In January we read the Prologue, Parts I and II. For February we are reading Parts III and VI.  This sweeping epic is set in the tumultuous era of 12th Century England, the narrative concerns the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge. ... 


The  Sunday Lectionary readings Schedules of Acolytes, Lectors & Ushers as well as Hymnody, Motets and Organ Voluntaries for  Sunday, February 24, 2019  may be found by clicking  here The Lector's Pronunciation Guide may be found here .


Please remember these people in your daily prayers
Geoffrey Wainwright, Fr. John Graham, Dorothy Murray, Mary Lou Devens, Michael Milano, Thomas Holden, Brenton Boitse, Charley Taylor, August 'Augie' Alonzo, Kenvert Samuel, Ted Long, Jim Berger, Ethel Martin, Rachel Barton Pine, Demos Kukeas, Norb Bragiel, Yuka Asai, Dean Pineda, Fred Malek, Pastor Fred Overdier,  Kristen Halvorsen
Prayers for the departed
Rest eternal grant unto them, O Lord: and let light perpetual shine upon them. May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

The Approved Minutes of Vestry meetings are now available online to parishioners who request the link.  If you would like Internet access to the Approved Vestry Minutes, please email the  Church Office and request the link. 
Once you access the web page, you can read all recent Approved Vestry Minutes.  In addition, if you click on the subscribe button at the top right, you will be given email notice whenever a new set of Approved Minutes is added. 


Our recent sojourn in St. Michael Hall, formerly St. Faith's Chapel, makes me mindful of the parish's history, and the early history of Ascension is quite dramatic. Below are excerpts from Chapter 1, 'The Early Years.'  

And don't forget, you can own, for FREE, your own copy of History of the Church of the Ascension, Chicago, Illinois, by George C. Giles, Jr. Inquire in the parish office or ask me or Jim Lo Bello on a Sunday morning.   - Fr. Raymond

St. James, Chicago's first Episcopal church, was consecrated by Bishop Chase on June 25, 1837. During the next twenty years the growth of the parish paralleled the exceedingly rapid growth of the population of Chicago. Between 1852 and 1857 the number of communicants and Sunday school scholars doubled, and confirmation classes were unusually large.
Late in the year 1856 some of the parishioners of St. James Church went to the rector, the Rev. Robert Harper Clarkson, to ask permission to found a mission north of the parish. The official reason given was "overcrowding at St. James," but the real reason, according to all sources, was that this group found St. James "too High Church." On the first Sunday of January, 1857, the new mission, with the Rev. Cuthbert C. Barclay in charge, began meeting in a borrowed church on the corner of LaSalle Avenue and Erie Street.
By May 8 the Rev. John W. Cracraft was appointed first rector and took charge of what was now called the parish of the Church of the Ascension. On May 17  the Rt. Rev. Henry J. Whitehouse , second bishop of Illinois, made his first visit to the parish, which was meeting in the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church on Superior Street between Wells Street and LaSalle Avenue. Two lots had been purchased, and the parish of St. James, which was rebuilding, had promised their old building to be moved to the site.
On September 9, 1857, the first vestry was elected; the parish was admitted to the Diocesan Convention of 1858. On Christmas Day, 1857, the congregation met in the Westminster Presbyterian Church at Dearborn and Ontario Streets. The baptism of Mary Allingham, the first in the parish, took place that day, and the rector issued a plea for building funds as the offer from St. James had been withdrawn. The Rev. Mr. Cracraft left the Ascension at the end of February, 1858.
The Rev. Henry Hobart Morrell, second rector, arrived on March 1, 1858, and began work on building the first church, a 36-by-60-foot frame building with a 20-foot high arched roof on a rented lot on Oak Street between Wells Street and LaSalle Avenue. It had a vestry room in the back, 70 pews and seating for 300 people. The church was completed in two months, opened by the Rev. Mr. Morrell on April 22, and visited on June 13 by Bishop Whitehouse, who laid hands on Eliza Bently, the parish's first confirmand.
In June of 1859 the Rev. Mr. Morrell left the city after denouncing the bishop, standing committee, and diocesan missionaries for being "opposed to the truth as it is in Jesus." During his brief but popular rectorate, the church held Morning and Evening Prayer on Sundays and conducted a Sunday church school. In the twenty months from the founding of the parish until September, 1858, Holy Communion was celebrated only five times.
On October 16, 1858, the Rev. William Fulton was called as the third rector. Aside from the fact that he lived at 68 Oak Street, later moving to Elm and Wells Streets, and continued weekly Morning and Evening Prayer and the Sunday school, little is known of Mr. Fulton. His rectorate continued until October 15, 1860.
The church, now experiencing financial difficulties, did not find a new rector until March, 1861. After having been closed most of the winter, the church reopened on March 3 with the Rev. William H. Cooper in charge of the parish. He built a parsonage next to the church on Oak Street at a cost of $700. In November the church was carpeted, and a new pulpit and stained glass windows were added at a cost of $400. For the first time Holy Communion was celebrated once monthly. In June of 1863, after a tenure of two and one-half years, longer than any previous rector, Mr. Cooper left Ascension a much improved church.
On September 18, 1863, the Rev. L. Russell Jones became the fifth rector of the parish. In the only existing contemporary record book he summed up his own rectorate: "... the chancel of the church was enlarged and the walls were frescoed, a bell tower and bell were added, and a fine organ by the Pilcher Organ Company of Chicago was purchased." In November, 1864, the church lot was sold by its owners and the church had to be moved to the northwest corner of LaSalle Avenue and Maple Street. The building was set on poles so that a Sunday school room could be added underneath. On January 1, 1865, Mr. Jones left the Ascension to become rector of the Church of the Atonement in Chicago.
The Rev. Hiram W. Beers, D.D., presided over the most prosperous of the parish's early years. Arriving on April 2, 1865, he oversaw the church's enlargement to the dimensions of 37 feet by 100 feet. A new and larger organ was purchased. The Ascension soon gained a reputation for fine music. In September, 1865, members of the vestry purchased the lots on the corner of LaSalle Avenue and Elm Street, where the church now stands, for $8,640.
In the spring of 1867 the church was closed in order to be moved. On Whitsunday it was reopened. That year 450 parishioners were reported to the Diocesan Convention. Dr. Beers acquired the help of the first curate, the Rev. B. F. Fleetwood, a newly ordained deacon from Nashotah House Seminary in Wisconsin.
On January 5, 1868, the Rev. Thomas G. Carver, D.D., seventh rector of the Church of the Ascension, began his work. The size of the parish dropped considerably. It is of note that during Dr. Carver's tenure, in May of 1869, a convention was held in Chicago to oppose "ritualism," a term used with reference to the liturgical revival in the Episcopal Church. Vestrymen from the Ascension attended, and one signed the convention's declaration opposing the movement.
Dr. Carver left the parish on July 1, 1869, and the vestry again began a search for a rector. In September of 1869 the Rev. Canon Charles Palmer Dorset accepted the vestry's call. Born in Vermont in 1834, he studied at Hamlin College and was trained for Holy Orders by Dr. Edward Randolph Welles, a noted Catholic leader who was later consecrated third bishop of Wisconsin in 1874.
Charles Dorset had been ordained in 1862 in Red Wing, Minnesota, by Bishop Whipple. Shortly afterward he went to LaCrosse, Wisconsin, where he founded Christ Church. Working under Bishop Jackson Kemper, he founded and tended many missions. In 1868 he was appointed by Bishop Whitehouse as canon of the Cathedral of SS. Peter & Paul in Chicago.
The impact of Canon Dorset's rectorate on the Church of the Ascension was decisive, persisting to this day. As a convinced advocate of the Catholic revival in the Episcopal Church, his views were those of the High Church party in the 1860s and 1870s: the efficacy of prayers for the faithful departed; the Real Objective Presence of Christ in the Eucharist; the Eucharist, rather than Morning Prayer, as the main service of the Church and celebrated with vestments, lights, songs, and acts of adoration; the doctrine of Eucharistic Sacrifice; the restoration of religious orders in the Church; and the advocacy of the Sacrament of Penance.
The Rev. Francis J. Hall , noted theologian, author, and seminary professor, described the parish before the time of Canon Dorset in this way:
He came to a parish accustomed to monthly Eucharists, a balloon surplice with tippet, a quartet choir, and sermons on strictly ethical and semi-political subjects. The type of Churchmanship was of a breezy and inconsequential order, distinctly low.
Canon Dorset had two stipulations before accepting the rectorate: (1) weekly celebration of Holy Communion and (2) free seating in the church. Until that time, families were required to rent pews on a yearly basis in order to attend services at the Ascension. Weekly communion began in January, 1870, at which time seating became free.
For Christmas of 1869 Canon Dorset began training some boys in the parish as a choir. On Christmas Day they sat in the front pews and assisted the regular quartet. By Lent of 1870 he had organized them into a choir of twelve boys. (Among them was the future Rev. Dr. Hall.). They sang Evening Prayer each night in Gregorian chant, remaining after each service to rehearse the next night's psalms. At Easter the now vested boys choir replaced the quartet, becoming one of Chicago's first vested parish choirs.
Shortly thereafter, Canon Dorset began celebrating the Eucharist facing eastward and using communion wafers instead of leavened bread, both practices considered extremely High Church. In the spring of 1870 Canon George Street was chosen as associate rector of the parish.
In July an important event took place. Fr. Prescott of the Society of St. John the Evangelist came to the parish to give a mission. Earlier that year he had assisted at a mission in London that attracted 50,000 persons. During the Ascension mission there were seven services daily with Holy Communion celebrated each day and twice on Sunday. The Rev. James DeKoven, one of the greatest Catholic leaders of the nineteenth century, preached on Sunday during the mission. DeKoven, parish records indicate, celebrated Mass several times at the Church of the Ascension during Canon Dorset's rectorate.
A report to the Diocesan Convention that fall noted that the Eucharist had been celebrated 92 times, in contrast to 15 celebrations the year before. By Christmas of 1870 the Chicago press had begun to take note of changes at the Ascension. A newspaper reported that not only would there be two communions on Christmas Day, but also "a celebration of the Blessed Sacrament" on each of the three days following. A later report noted that the Christmas services "were of the high ritualistic order."
Canon Dorset spent most of the summer of 1871 in Europe while Canon Street cared for the parish. The rector returned to Chicago on September 17, 23 days before the Great Chicago Fire of October 8, 1871.
Flames crossed the Chicago River at about 4:00 on the morning of the tenth and had reached the Ascension by 7:00 P.M. When the church caught fire Canon Dorset and several parishioners left their own possessions to burn in order to save what they could from the church. They rolled the stone baptismal font out onto LaSalle Avenue where it was found after the fire. (It was later reinstalled in the church.) Canon Dorset brought the communion service--a large silver chalice and paten--out of the burning frame church. He gave these to Louisa Enderly, the young daughter of the church sexton, who wrapped them in her apron as she was pushed northward with the crowd to the prairies beyond the city. There she was taken in by some people but would not let the altar vessels out of her apron until she was brought to Canon Dorset on the West Side two days later. (These sacred vessels were saved in two later fires and are in the church's possession today.)
Ascension suffered the worst effects of the fire of any Episcopal parish in the city. The wooden church was completely consumed by flames in a few minutes and, apart from the font and communion vessels, nothing was saved. The homes of all parishioners and most of their businesses were also destroyed. Although the church was insured, city insurance companies were unable to reimburse claims fully. The parish received $7,000, the exact amount required to pay off the mortgage on the land. In November, 1871, the "Church of the Ascension" consisted of a parcel of land on LaSalle Avenue, a font, a chalice, a paten, and a group of faithful parishioners with very little money.
Thirty thousand dollars was raised in the East to help Episcopal churches in Chicago pay for fire damage. Bishop Whitehouse, who controlled the fund, had strong feelings in opposition to the Ascension's "ritualistic practices," and although the parish was the worst struck, he allocated only $3,000 to it, giving the remainder to St. James and St. Ansgarius, of more congenial Churchmanship. Raising money for restoration was a struggle for the parish, and because of its particular beliefs and practices, it often encountered more trouble than assistance. Commentators have suggested, however, that this period of struggle gave the parish the courage to continue "standing alone" after its rebuilding.
Grace Church and the Church of the Atonement, neither of which had been affected by the fire, invited parishioners from the Ascension to worship with them until rebuilding was accomplished. In November the vestry ran a notice in the newspaper asking any former members of the parish to notify them of their whereabouts so that attempts could be made to reestablish the congregation.
In early January of 1872, Canon Street sailed for England to attempt to raise money for the rebuilding. Canon Dorset traveled to the East Coast for the same purpose. Each priest carried plans for St. Faith's Chapel and Orphanage to be built on the back of the parish lot, with a church facing on LaSalle Avenue to be built later. At Eastertide the vacant lot was the site of the parish's annual meeting.
During the next year the parish continued to meet at the Atonement or the Epiphany. By March, 1873, sufficient funds had not been raised to build, and the congregation began meeting in the parlor of the Clarendon Hotel for Sunday Mass. Later, a third floor hall on Clark Street near the river was rented where Mass was celebrated for several weeks. In May a storefront on Wells Street was rented and served as the church for nearly a year.
In June the struggling parish began its first educational efforts. In the upper floors of the rented building on Wells Street, members of the parish opened an industrial school to teach sewing and singing to girls. The parish also became involved in the founding of a downtown mission--St. Peter's. Both were significant and expensive failures.
In July of 1873 ground was finally broken for the chapel. Disagreements concerning financial matters arose, and several members of the vestry resigned. By September work had to be stopped for lack of funds. Although these difficulties were resolved and work resumed shortly, the Tribune published a derogatory article concerning the parish's problems.
Many of the allegations contained in the article, which must have been supplied by the disenchanted former vestrymen, were partly true, but phrased in ways which implied wrongdoing. The article reported that "out of many thousands of dollars contributed by benevolent Christians, only a few hundred dollars were forthcoming." Also noted were the following "facts": that the expense of collection had been great; that considerable sums had been left in a bank in New York that went out of business; that a large sum had been paid out to support the rector and his family when there was no church building or congregation; that $1,000 intended to build the orphanage had been used by the rector to buy a residence for himself in Wilmette; that the bishop was investigating these irregularities and would allow no further mortgage on the church lot until the funds were replaced; and, finally, that many considered the rector's handling of the matter as "equal to misappropriation."
Capt. Joseph B. Hall, senior warden of the parish (and father of Francis J. Hall), answered the editors in a lengthy letter to the Tribune. Capt. Hall explained that less than $5,000 had actually been collected for the rebuilding and much of that was not "contributed" but earned by means of a fundraising effort associated with Canon Street's lecture tour of England, where he had presented "magic lantern" slide shows of the Great Chicago Fire.
Although Canon Street had earned more than $3,500, Capt. Hall continued, the cost of his trip and equipment left only $700 for the fund. The vestry had reviewed all his work and voted him a special thanks for his efforts. Four hundred ninety-two dollars had been deposited in a New York bank while Canon Dorset was collecting funds there. At the time it appeared to be a sound institution, but the bank later went bankrupt, causing the loss of the deposit. Further, less than $500 had been given to Canon Dorset to support his family in the nearly two years following the fire. The $1,000 that was in the fund to build an orphanage could not be used because plans for the orphanage had been dropped. The sum, on deposit in a bank at six percent interest, had been loaned by Canon Dorset to his wife to buy some property in Wilmette. The rector had taken security on the loan and the church received ten percent interest on its repayment. It had now been voted that the money could be used for building the chapel.
A new mortgage was taken on the lot and construction of the chapel was completed. On February 8, 1874, St. Faith's Chapel of the Church of the Ascension was dedicated by Bishop Whitehouse. The building (now St. Michael Hall), designed by Mr. John Addison of Otis Block Company, was of stone 76 by 31 feet, with a vestibule and sacristy wing that was 16 by 16 feet. The roof was of slate. The interior was frescoed by a noted artist, Louis Kohn. Pine pews provided seating for 400. The chancel furniture consisted of a marble altar, reredos, sedilia and two lecterns given by friends in New York. Friends in England contributed a brass cross, two candlesticks, and two vases.
The completion of St. Faith's Chapel was made possible by Canon Dorset's leadership and his congregation's dedication. Recalling this period, the Rev. Francis J. Hall wrote: "At a time when we knew everyone in the parish individually and were all well aware of their private means we discovered by careful computation that, aside from outside help, no less than one-eighth of the total income of all the parishioners was contributed ... to parochial purposes." ....
Canon Dorset stayed at the Ascension only a little over a year after the chapel's dedication. During that time he introduced several practices the Evangelicals had attempted to forbid in the proposed canons. In the summer of 1874 the rector began celebrating Mass at 6:30 A.M. daily. This was the first daily Mass in an Episcopal Chicago parish. Candles were placed on the altar, though left unlighted. Receiving a complaint concerning this instance of "extremism," Bishop Whitehouse ordered them removed. That summer the young Francis J. Hall, the parish's first acolyte, served the rector at Mass ....
The Rev. Canon Charles Palmer Dorset had been rector for five years, four months, and twenty-nine days, the longest period of a rector's tenure up to that time. When he left, the Church of the Ascension, which had been known for its Low Churchmanship, was the most advanced Anglo-Catholic parish in the diocese of Illinois. Daily Mass was celebrated. The priest was vested in eucharistic vestments, though they were still of plain white linen. Water was added to the chalice at the offertory, and the sacred vessels were abluted at the altar. An acolyte served the celebrant and a vested boys choir sang at the Sunday Mass. Fasting communions were encouraged.
By means of the work of Canon Dorset and his people, the Ascension parish survived near total disaster and firmly set itself on a course of witnessing to Catholic faith and practice.


Fr. Patrick Raymond,         praymond@ascensionchicago.org

Susan Schlough,                finance@ascensionchicago.org

Parish Office                      office@ascensionchicago.org