Searching for the perfect gift? Here are a few ideas shared by the Presbytery of Giddings-Lovejoy. [
Shop locally owned
– Support your community and local economy by shopping small mom-and-pop stores, especially if those stores also sell locally made items.
Sustainable wrapping paper
– Reuse paper products such as old maps or comic strips. For gift bags that come with tags attached, write "Reuse this bag!" on it instead of the recipient's name.
Decrease spending and waste
– Have family members draw names and stick to a 'one gift' rule. This allows each person to get one especially thoughtful and unique gift from someone who had the time to dedicate their effort.
The gift of charity
– Give money to a local charity, sponsor a child overseas or help impoverished women start a small business all in the name of your loved ones.
Organize your shopping trips
– Not only will taking care of all of your shopping in fewer trips make the entire season a whole lot easier, but it will also reduce your carbon footprint.
Green gifts for adults
– Consider giving friends or family “experiential” presents – such as gift certificates for restaurants, movies, plays, concerts, yoga classes, spa services, or even weekend getaways. Or give nature lovers a national parks pass or membership to a botanical garden or aquarium.