Please file a witness slip as a
10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 and contact your
state representative and ask him/her to support SB1424
HOW TO FILE A WITNESS SLIP:
- Copy and paste this link into the address bar to file the witness slip directly: https://goo.gl/MfCW4k.
- Identification Section: Fill out the identification section with your information. For the firm/business or agency and title fields, write self.
- Representation section: Fill in NA or self.
- Position section: in the position drop-down menu , scroll down to ORIGINAL BILL, then select PROPONENT.
- Testimony Section: Select "Record of Appearance Only." This will allow your position on the piece of legislation known without having to physically appear.
- Type what is displayed in the CAPTCHA box.
- Check the box to Agree to the terms of I Agree to the ILGA Terms of Agreement.
- Select Create (SLIP)
WHAT IT IS:
SB1424, a small donor matching system bill, passed the Illinois Senate last week, and has moved to the Illinois House where it has been assigned to the House Executive Committee. The bill is scheduled for hearing on
Wednesday, May 24th at 10:30 a.m.
The Small Donor Matching System for Fair Elections Act, creates a small donor campaign contribution matching system for candidates in elections for Illinois Constitutional Office and the Illinois Senate and Illinois House.
WHY IT'S IMPORTANT:
A small donor matching system has the potential to reduce the influence of money in politics, and open the door for a pool of candidates who are more grassroots and diverse It allows candidates for office in Illinois to receive matching funds for small donations they receive.
This system, which has proven successful in other areas of the country, also holds elected officials accountable to voters instead of their largest donors.
A small donor matching system meets League goals for financing of political campaigns by encouraging participation by citizens in the political process, enabling candidates to compete equitably for public office and ensuring that candidates have sufficient funds to communicate their messages to the public.
Find contact information for your state representative at: http://openstates.org/find_your_legislator/.