Bonnie Cox, President
Hilary Denk, Vice President, Issues
Jean Pierce and Claire McIntyre, LWVIL Issues Specialists, Education Funding
RE: Evidence-Based Funding: SB1
Please call your Representative and ask them to urge Governor Rainer to sign SB 1 into law. If the Governor vetoes SB1, ask him or her to vote YES to override his veto. This is particularly important if your Representative is a Republican.
WHY IT MATTERS:
- SB1 must be passed in order for schools to receive money appropriated by the budget.
- Under SB1 the distribution of educational funding will no longer discriminate against districts with low property wealth.
- Since districts will not depend so heavily on property taxes, these taxes can be reduced.
- SB1 bases school funding on research-based parameters which put money where the need is greatest without taking money from any district - there are no winners or losers.
f your legislator claims "SB1 is a bailout of Chicago", please inform her or him that
- Chicago is the only district in the state which must pay its own pensions
- The $200 M from SB1 which is designed for Chicago would go to pay pension costs, preventing the district from using classroom dollars to pay for pensions.