March 5, 2017
ry Kubasak, President
Jean Pierce and Hilary Denk, Issues Co-Chairs
Mary Klonowski & Barbara Marsh, Issues Specialists
RE: Support HB2354 -- File a Witness Slip TODAY
HB 2354 has been assigned to the Illinois House Judiciary - Criminal Committee. The committee is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, March 7th at 3:30 p.m.
The League of women Voters of Illinois supports this legislation and we are asking you to please file a witness slip to support HB2354.
- This legislation would allow an immediate family member or law enforcement to petition a court for a Lethal Violence Order of Protection (LVOP) if there is a substantial likelihood that a person will, in the near future, cause personal injury to him - or herself or others by owning or possessing a firearm.
- The court may consider evidence of whether the person has made a recent threat or committed a recent act of violence directed at him - or herself or another; violated a protective order of any kind; has been convicted of a violent offense; or engaged in a pattern or violent acts or threats within the past 12 months.
- A court may restrain an individual from purchasing or possessing guns for up to one year.
- A court is authorized to issue a warrant for any firearms in the person's possession.
- A restrained person must immediately surrender all firearms in his or her possession. The law enforcement officer serving a LVOP must also take custody of any firearm or other deadly weapon in plain sight.
- The court must electronically notify state and local authorities within one court day of issuing an LVOP.
- Imposes penalties for abuse of the process: a criminal penalty for anyone who files a petition known to be false.
WHY IT'S IMPORTANT:
Passage of this legislation would provide families and law enforcement an opportunity to prevent someone from using a firearm who, in the judgment of the court, could cause personal harm to him/herself or others.
TO FILE A WITNESS SLIP:
You are done!
- Click on this link: http://bit.ly/2moNuwP and file the slip as a PROPONENT OF HB2354.
- Identification Section: Fill out the identification section with your information. For the Firm/business or agency and Title fields, write self.
- Representation section: If you are not authorized to appear on behalf of any group, fill in NA or self.
- In the Position section select PROPONENT.
- Complete the Testimony section. Check the "Record of Appearance Only" box. This will allow your position on the piece of legislation known without having to physically appear.
- Type in what is displayed in the CAPTCHA box.
- Click in the box next to "I Agree to the ILGA Terms of Agreement."
- Click Create (SLIP).