As part of its charge of sustainable environmental management and fiscal responsibility, the City is in the process of completing an updated Long-Range Solid Waste Plan. The purpose of the plan is to ensure that proper steps are being studied and adopted to ensure proper waste management practices for current and future Houstonians.
Mayor Sylvester Turner has appointed a Task Force to lead the Plan’s preparation; part of which included the hiring of an expert solid waste and environmental consultant to ensure alignment with federal, state and local stewardship laws and regulations. Key components of the plan’s study are to include the following:
· Achieve Financial Sustainability for Solid Waste Services
· Increase Reuse, Recycling and Organics Diversion and decrease environmental risks of waste disposal in landfills
· Continue to Provide Quality Solid Waste Services to the residents and businesses of Houston
· Ensure Long-term Disposal Capacity and Sustainable Solid Waste Infrastructure
· Provide solid waste management services in a safe, equitable, responsive, and environmentally responsible manner
As part of the planning process, the City is seeking community feedback. With the projected growth in both the number of residents and businesses, long-range solid waste management planning is a priority.