Greeting & Announcements
Collect adapted from Feasting on the Word: Worship Companion
Call to Worship by Tim Graves, LiturgyBits
- Come and worship!
- We will praise the One between, within, and over.
- Trust in the One who co-creates the was, the now, and the will-be.
- Our hope is in the One who creates expansive love calling us to do the same.
- Follow the One who never breaks covenant.
- We follow the One whose extravagant love calls us to co-create justice for the oppressed,
- To feed the hungry, unlock prisons,
- And welcome strangers, orphans, and widows.
- Praise the One whose justice is grace-full and inclusive.
- We praise the Spirit that spans the ages. Amen!
Opening Hymn #2036: "Give Thanks;" Tune: Give Thanks; Words and music: CCLI #2723293
Centering Prayer from Feasting on the Word: Worship Companion
Anthem: "Heaven Shall Not Wait" by John L. Bell and Graham Maule; Words and music: One License #A-727358
- Heaven shall not wait for the poor to lose their patience, the scorned to smile, the despised to find a friend: Jesus is Lord; he has championed the unwanted; in him injustice confronts its timely end.
- Heaven shall not wait for the rich to share their fortunes, the proud to fall, the elite to tend the least: Jesus is Lord; he has shown the master's privilege: to kneel and wash servants' feet before they feast.
- Heaven shall not wait for the dawn of great ideas, thoughts of compassion divorced from cries of pain: Jesus is Lord; he has married word and action; his cross and company make his purpose plain.
- Heaven shall not wait for the triumphant Hallelujahs, when earth has passed and we reach another shore: Jesus is Lord in our present imperfection; his power and love are for now and then for evermore.
Scripture Reading: Luke 16:19-31 (NRSV) Click here to read the scripture.
Sermon Hymn: "The Church of Christ in Every Age;" Tune: Wareham; Words and music: One License #A-727358
The Apostles' Creed
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth; And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; the third day he rose from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done; on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Doxology #64, St. 4: "Holy, Holy, Holy! Lord God Almighty;" Tune: Nicaea; Words and music: Public domain
- Click here to view the sheet music.
Words: Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty! All thy works shall praise thy name, in earth and sky and sea. Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty, God in three persons, blessed Trinity.
Closing Hymn #160: "Rejoice Ye Pure in Heart;" Tune: Marion; Words and music: Public domain