|If you've registered your cell phone or email to receive emergency notifications through Contra Costa County's Community Warning System website, or if you're a resident living near one of three refineries in the County or the Dow Chemical plant, you'll be receiving a test message tonight from telephone number 000-000-0000.|
The County is conducting a countywide public test of a potential new emergency telephone notification provider to gauge the system's call capacity, quality, and reliability.
This test is limited to voice calls to landlines in the predetermined areas, AND voice calls, text messages and emails to devices that residents have opted to register with the County's Community Warning System.
The County's sirens, Emergency Alert System, NOAA weather radios, CMAS (Commercial Mobil Alerting System), Facebook, and Twitter accounts will not be activated as part of the test.
Here's more information on the times and locations for tonight's tests:
- Pittsburg/Antioch areas surrounding Dow Chemical facility - beginning at 5:30 p.m.
- Martinez/Pacheco area surrounding Shell Refinery - beginning at 6:00 p.m.
- Crockett/Rodeo area surrounding Phillips 66 Refinery - beginning at 6:30 p.m.
- Richmond/San Pablo area surrounding Chevron Refinery - beginning at 7:00 p.m.
The tests will also be conducted in communities surrounding these facilities:
- Portions of Pittsburg and Antioch surrounding Dow Chemical facility
- Portions of Martinez and Pacheco surrounding Shell Refinery
- Portions of Crockett and Rodeo surrounding Phillips 66 Refinery
- Portions of Richmond and San Pablo surrounding Chevron Refinery
This type of community-wide test is unprecedented in public alerting, but the County is taking this bold approach to improve the emergency telephone system.
Supervisor, District One
Contra Costa County
11780 San Pablo Avenue, Suite D
El Cerrito, CA 94530