Town Hall Restoration Receives Funding
The Winnebago Community Historical Society (WCHS) is proud to announce it has received a $19,950.00 grant for the Town Hall restoration. The grant was awarded by the Community Arts & Humanities Fund of the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois’ Community Grants Program.
Built in 1894, Town Hall has served the Village of Winnebago and the Winnebago Township for decades. The building has hosted a variety of events from school functions, meeting space for service organizations, the original library space for the Township but always being the administrative home for the Winnebago Township. When the Township moved their operations to another building several years ago, the then newly formed Winnebago Community Historical Society was organized to purchase the building. Since this acquisition, the 100+ charter members and volunteers have started the long process to restore and renovate the Town Hall, making it available to the community for meeting space and events.
“This grant continues the restoration process of Town Hall” states WCHS President Irv Koning. “In recent years, we focused on getting accessible restrooms installed, a new roof was added, our adjacent park has been renovated, now with the generous support of the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois, we can turn our attention to much needed repairs and restoration of exterior brick and mortar including the front facade. WCHS, its’ members and Board are committed to restoring this great building for the benefit of the community.”