MAYOR ALAN FIERS
Well, the County Commission has reviewed and voted on the BEACH OPENING issue. The summary is “no Beach opening” this week. Chief Steedman has done a summary of the meeting below. The PBSO will have frequent patrols on the beach and the pathways this weekend to keep things under control.
FIRE CHIEF TREVOR STEEDMAN
Today’s Special Meeting of the Board of County Commissioners meeting Update:
- 4-3 vote in favor of reopening the beaches on Monday, May 18th.
- For: (Kerner, Weinroth, McKinlay, Valeche)
- Against: (Bernard, Berger, Weiss)
- Beach Openings would be unrestricted with municipalities permitted to impose tighter restrictions.
- Board of County Commissioners referred the matter of residency restrictions back to its Legal Department to re-visit the County’s ability to restrict beach access to PBC residents only. Other FL counties and municipalities have those restrictions in place.
- The May 18 re-opening date was a compromise to get the vote passed with the following stipulations:
- Beach Restaurants/Food concessions removed from the order
- Board of County Commissioners will convene in a Special Meeting on Friday, May 15 to pass a final version of communication to the Governor’s Office.
- Board of County Commissioners may opt to vote on May 15th to open the beaches on Saturday, May 16, Sunday, May 17, but NO LATER than Monday, May 18, 2020.
Have a good weekend