Website    Services    News    Get Involved    Gallery    Contact Us
Transition Tool Box
The Transition Tool box is a series of short videos and resource lists designed to provide a brief overview of some helpful tips and resources that we have found useful for families and youth with disabilities who are transitioning from high school to adult life in the Victoria Area.

Videos and Resources:

A special thanks to the following people for their contributions:

Lori Frank, Lori Frank Mediation
Cindy Nikolic, CYSN
CYSN Staff Team
Patrick Jobe, CLBC
Jessica Humphrey, CLBC
Lee Dellabough, VIHA and SD 61
Tammy Ishikawa, VIHA and SD 63
Krista Nakatsuka, VIHA and SD 62
Rachel Skidmore, Family Support Institute
Jo-el Brooks, Second Wave
Justine Dooley, CLV
Lara Foster, CLV 

Please note: the resource lists will be updated on a regular basis. If you have any other resources to share we would love to hear from you. Please contact

Legal and Finance Resources

Disability Assistance

Disability assistance can help you if you need financial or health support. You must be designated as a Person with Disabilities (PWD) to receive this type of assistance.
To be eligible, you must:
  • Show that you meet financial eligibility to receive assistance
  • Be 18 years old (you can start the application process when you are 17 ½)
  • Have a severe physical or mental impairment that is expected to continue for more than two years
  • Be significantly restricted in your ability to perform daily-living activities
  • Require assistance with daily living activities from
  • Another person
  • An assistive device, or
  • An assistance animal
My Self Serve
My Self Serve (MySS) provides online access to income and disability assistance for residents of British Columbia.
If you are not currently in receipt of income or disability assistance, My Self Serve will guide you through the Application for Assistance. If you need help with your application contact the ministry at 1-866-866-0800.
If you are currently in receipt of income or disability assistance, My Self Serve will allow you to securely access your current information online. For example, you can view personal messages from the ministry, submit your monthly report, and upload forms.



Living with a disability

Federal, provincial, employer-sponsored and insurance benefits. Taxes on benefits.
Information on banking, Registered Disability Savings Plans and how to manage money when living with a disability.
Saving for and paying for post-secondary education when living with a disability.
Tax credits when living with a disability
Information on federal tax credits and deductions you may be eligible for when living with a disability.
Working when living with a disability
Discover federal programs that help you find and train for employment if you have a disability.

Disability Alliance BC
 DABC provides direct services, programs, publications, events, workshops and training.
Since 1977, Disability Alliance BC has been a provincial, cross-disability voice in British Columbia. Our mission is to support people, with all disabilities, to live with dignity, independence and as equal and full participants in the community. We champion issues impacting the lives of people with disabilities through our direct services, community partnerships, advocacy, research and publications

We provide help with PWD, CPPD and DTC applications, Tax Aid support and many more services.                                                               

Click HERE for more information


 Access RDSP and the RDSP

Access RDSP is a province wide partnership between Plan Institute, Disability Alliance BC (DABC), and BC Aboriginal Network on Disability Society (BCANDS) to encourage financial security via uptake of the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP). The Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) offers people living with a disability not only an opportunity to save for future costs but also to take advantage of up to $90,000 the federal government may provide on their behalf. It is estimated that only about 33% of British Columbians who are eligible for an RDSP have opened one. In response, the Access RDSP program provides a "one-stop-shop" for all things RDSP to encourage long-term saving.


Access RDSP - Free Community Resources

     1.DTC Support 

- DABC advocates provide direct support by helping people who are eligible for the RDSP to apply for the DTC, a pre-requisite for the RDSP.
  1. Help with the RDSP - Plan Institute operates a Disability Planning Helpline (1-844-311-PLAN) - 1:1 support provided by expert advisors, on key future planning and RDSP information.
  1. Free Info Sessions - Access RDSP offers RDSP and DTC learning sessions - information for families, healthcare professionals, financial professionals, organizations, and other groups.
  1. Indigenous RDSP Navigation - If you are an Indigenous person living with a disability, the BCANDS RDSP Navigation program can help you to open an RDSP to assist you in meeting future financial needs.
  1. $150 Grant for BC Residents - Plan Institute is administering Endowment 150, a $150 one-time grant aimed at helping individuals and families with low incomes save for the future by jump-starting their RDSP. We are looking to distribute 1000 grants each year - please spread the word!

Nidus is the expert on Representation Agreements, which are a legal model for supported decision making.  B.C.'s Representation Agreement Act inspired Article 12 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities (2008) which calls on governments to implement legislation that ensures all adults receive support with decision making without the need to take away or restrict their rights. The Convention has been ratified by Canada.
Nidus serves the entire province of British Columbia and is located in Vancouver.
Nidus provides
  • public legal education on personal planning and related matters.
  • training for volunteers and groups.
  • problem solving and coaching in support of best practices for attorneys, representatives and monitors.
  • policy consultation for third parties.

Advocate for Service Quality

The Office of the Advocate for Service Quality (OASQ) helps government better support:
Adults with a developmental disability (this includes Autism Spectrum Disorder and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder)
Teens with a developmental disability who are almost an adult
Teens with special needs
Family members and others who support a person with a developmental disability
The OASQ may act as a neutral third party with you, your family and service providers. We'll help solve problems and find solutions to concerns and complaints.
The OASQ's goal is to get quality service for you and your family from:
  • Community Living BC (CLBC)
  • Government
  • Community agencies
Click HERE for more information

Income Assistance
Income Assistance Advocates provide information and advice regarding the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction. Commonly provided services include

Federal Disability Advocacy
Federal Disability Advocates provide assistance regarding Canada Pension Plan Disability benefits and the Disability Tax Credit

Residential Tenancy
Residential Tenancy Legal Advocates provide information and advice to tenants in regards to the Residential Tenancy Act. Topics commonly addressed include eviction notices, return of security deposits, quiet enjoyment concerns, and lack of service and repairs.

Persons With Disabilities
The Volunteer Persons With Disabilities Advocacy Project matches highly trained volunteers with individuals requiring assistance applying for provincial PWD benefits.

Employment Standards
The Employment Standards Legal Advocacy Project helps workers navigate the Employment Standards Act

TAPS provides a free tax preparation clinic every Thursday from 9-12 and 1-4 on a first-come-first-served basis. Trained volunteers are able to
handle up to 10 years of taxes.


Applying for PWD Disability Benefits

Every Thursday at 1:30pm
Do you have a disability?
Are you struggling with finding income?
Have you considered applying for disability benefits?
This interactive and informative workshop will show you:
  • How to apply for PWD
  • How to fill out the PWD application
  • Eligibility criteria
  • Guidelines
  • And answer your questions
If you would like to register for this workshop or have questions, please contact:
Our reception desk at 250-595-0044 or e-mail our Information & Referral Co ordinator at .

At times the amount of paperwork needed to complete through the teen to adult transition years can be very daunting! 

 There are also a number of community organizations that can provide help with the paperwork as well: 

Who We Are

The Public Guardian and Trustee (PGT) is a corporation sole established under the Public Guardian and Trustee Act with a unique statutory role to protect the interests of British Columbians who lack legal capacity to protect their own interests. The mandate of the PGT is to:
  • Protect the legal and financial interests of children under the age of 19 years;
  • Protect the legal, financial, personal and health care interests of adults who require assistance in decision making; and
  • Administer the estates of deceased and missing persons

We're here to help

We provide  legal aid in BC. The law is complicated, but not everyone can afford a lawyer. We can help you with your legal issue.
Apply at a legal aid  location near you or call
1-866-577-2525 604-408-2172 (Greater Vancouver)

Please note, the CLV resources are for information purposes only.  We do not necessarily endorse or recommend the services and programs listed outside of our agency services.

Like us on Facebook