July 2, 2021 Edition
Streets around the Lake Eola area will be closed on Sunday, July 4, 2021 starting at 7:00 AM until Midnight, to allow the “Fireworks at the Fountain” event to occur. See the attached map for street closures and closure times.
Traditional Worship this Weekend
Due to the Independence Day holiday we will have a traditional worship service this Sunday, and a contemporary service on July 11. (Usually contemporary is the first weekend of the month).
Welcome Tom Naus, Trinity's New Music Director!
Tom Naus begins Sunday, July 4 as Trinity's new Music Director. In addition to being our traditional service Music Director and Organist, Tom will also be leading our music ministries, including Parish Choir, Bell Choir, First Floor Every Once In A While Choir, and more.
Tom joins us most recently from Port Orange United Church of God where he served as organist, adult choir director and praise team director/keyboardist for contemporary worship. Tom also was Director of Choral Activities, Music Theory and Keyboard Teach at Ocoee High School. Prior to that, Tom was a Reading Resource Teacher at Waterford Elementary School and Director of Music Ministries at St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church in Winter Park. Tom is also a member of the American Guild of Organists
We are thrilled to welcome Tom to our Trinity family. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.
Peace Deployment to Surfside, FL
Peace Comfort Dog, along with 8 other LCC K-9 Comfort Dogs and Ministry Teams is being deployed to Surfside, Florida after the collapse of the 12-story oceanfront condominium. They'll be serving first responders and their families, as well as the family members who have lost loved ones. At this time, there are 20 confirmed deaths and 128 people still unaccounted for. We ask that you keep the LCC K-9 Ministry Teams in your prayers, as well as the families who have lost or are missing loved ones, the first responders, and the Surfside community.
Comfort Dogs Deployed
Mary - St. Paul Lutheran, Janesville, WI
Charity - Brookfield Lutheran, Brookfield, WI
Tobias - Lord of Glory, Grayslake, IL
Jewel - Christ Our Savior, Loudon, TN
Seth - Eternal Shepherd, Seneca, SC
Hope - Faith, Alpharetta, GA
Lizzie - Trinity, Savannah, GA
Zoara - Island Lutheran, Hilton Head, SC
Peace - Trinity Downtown, Orlando, FL
PLEASE NOTE: Due to Peace's deployment, Peace's 4.5 Birthday Celebration and Peace Rocks and Kid Power dates will be rescheduled for later in July or August. New dates and times will be determined and shared soon.
Peace's 4.5 Birthday Celebration
Please join us as we celebrate Peace's 4.5 Birthday! The celebration will be in the loggia following worship services in August (date TBA). Peace's actual birthday is at Christmas time, so we celebrate her half birthdays during July, which is also when she began her ministry. Our favorite Golden has been with Trinity for 3 years now. We'll have "people treats", coloring sheets, and a photo location to get your picture taken with Peace. PLUS, bring $5 to enter a raffle to win an "Off Leash" experience with Peace, including some training, play time, and lunch with Peace. We hope to see you at Peace's 4.5 Birthday!
Peace Rocks and Kid Power
Peace needs Kid Power! As part of Peace's outreach into the community, we've started painting Peace Rocks and leaving them around the community. The rocks share a fun inspirational message or picture and invite people to visit Peace's Facebook page. DATE TBA. We'll be painting more rocks, plus, everyone will leave with a rock or two to leave behind for someone to find!
Voters Meeting Summary (full minutes available upon request)
OUR MISSION: Our mission is to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ through ministries which strengthen and equip people for Christian witness and service in downtown, metropolitan Orlando, and the world.
34 in attendance
2021-2022 Budget Approved!
Leadership Council (Executive Committee in blue)
President: Tom Finger
Senior Pastor: Rev. Doug Kallesen
Vice President: James Gusewelle
Treasurer/CFO: David Wilkosz
School Board President: Bonnie Roby
Senior Elder: Mike Kunze
Member At-Large: Bill Ruffier
Member At-Large: Bob Blackwood
Member At-Large: Lauren Robinson
Member At-Large: Marcy Shively
Serving Elder Emeritus:
Comfort Dog Ministry Update-Paul Soost
- Being there when others need you, not just the good times
- Being there for Christ-called to be committed
Trinity’s members asked to:
- Keep the ministry in prayer for safety & that they are doing God’s Mission
- Continue to donate to the ministry
- Help open new doors for a visit
- Share on Facebook
- Consider being part of ministry team
State of the Parish Report-Pastor Kallesen
Forward in Ministry Survey: 115 members participated in survey
- Build on prayer
- Address worry
- Develop Great Commission mindset
- Bible study engagement
- Connect & re-engage the disengaged
- Periodic worship “change-ups” to reignite interest
- Leverage & learn from Millennial’s passion & energy for outward focused outreach
- See beyond momentary struggles - to God
- Thought cloud-different ideas on all topics
Child Development Center Ministry Report-Bonnie Roby
- Getting ready for accreditation
- Kept doors open during the pandemic when others closed
- 268 children now, to grow back to 304
- Lost teachers due to COVID concerns and better paying jobs
- Looking for teachers
Finance Report-David Wilkosz
- Loan forgiveness process underway for the two PPP loans
- Sold 3 Ruth Lane houses for $760,000
- Paid off Bridge Loan
- Paid down $68,000 of principal on LCEF mortgage
- Presented proposed 21/22 budget for FY starting July 1
- 4% raise across the board for all employees
- Need 16 full-time and 4 part-time positions
- Need to grow contributing members to meet budget needs
- Raised $10 per child per week in CD
- Approved by verbal vote
Leadership Highlights/Discussions-Tom Finger
- Leadership Council Election--Unanimous approval by verbal vote for waivers and sla
- Elders slate - Unanimous approval by verbal vote
Property Maintenance Plans & Progress
- Roof repairs for Fellowship Hall and Sanctuary.
- Waterproofing for stained glass windows
- Repairs on doors
- PPP loan forgiveness will free up money for capital repair
Positions Available at Trinity Downtown
Part Time Church Office Administrative Assistant & Receptionist
Job Type: Part time, 25 hrs/wk, four day work-week
Pay Rate: $13-16 per hour based on experience and abilities
Reports to: Ministry & Communications Coordinator, Chanda Gillenwater
Job purpose: To support the efforts of the office of Public Ministry at Trinity Downtown in carrying out its mission to “share the gospel through ministries which strengthen and equip people for Christian witness and service” for the purpose of “bringing people one step closer to Jesus.”
Duties and Responsibilities
- Front Gate/Office Entry & Security
- Receptionist Duties for main entrance and campus phone lines
- Administrative support for Pastoral Team
- Clerical duties related to official acts, member records and reporting
- Pastoral Care Coordination support
- Event Preparation Support
- Church office & ministry support as needed/assigned
- Experience: church/non-profit/ministry, 1 year; secretarial/office admin, 1 year
- Education: High school or equivalent (Required)
- Must pass a background check, has reliable transportation
- Mature Christian individual
- Self-starter, creative, confident, capable
- Must enjoy interacting with people of all kinds – have a positive demeanor, pleasing personality and be kind and respectful to all guests.
- Demonstrates knowledge of appropriate professional office etiquette
- Can demonstrate an understanding of, agreement with, and a passion for the mission and purpose of Trinity Downtown and all of its ministries
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, grammar
- Computer savy, able to nvaigate new tech, skilled in entire Microsoft Office Suite, excellent typing skills
- Honest, reliable, respectful, and thoughtful individual able to receive instruction well and initiate independent follow through
- Able to maintain appropriate professional and personal boundaries
- Understands the importance of and has the ability to honor strict confidentiality practices to protect any personal or sensitive information
- Ability to multi-task, prioritizing needs/requests and managing deadlines
- Works well in a team environment and can also take the initiative and work independently.
- Preferred CPR/First Aid Certified
Full Time Early Childhood Teachers infant-VPK4
Become a part of the Trinity family as a teacher in our early childhood program and promote an award-winning care and education that embraces families and is anchored in foundations of tradition. You can help the Trinity Child Development Center build strong families rooted in Christ's love; where families, creativity, team work, compassion, diversity and play are valued.
Nestled in downtown Orlando, Trinity Child Development center provides a nurturing and educational environment for Infants through VPK/Pre-K-4. Whether in our warm and cozy infant/toddler settings or home-like preschool atmosphere, our parents know we wrap our children in the loving arms. Our secure five-acre campus provides ample space for our state-of-the-art Child Development Center, sports field, and full-size gym.
-Be familiar with and follow the Mission & Purpose, policies and procedures, of Trinity Lutheran Church and its Child Development Center
-Responsible for the safety, happiness, and wellbeing of assigned children.
-Classroom maintenance-including care of equipment, room safety checks, and general appearance of classroom.
-To be prompt, professional, and prepared.
-To write, post, implement and/or assist in lesson planning and sharing with student's families weekly.
-Carry out class objectives, and contribute ideas.
-To keep an open line of communication with, and provide positive feedback to the parents and Director.
-To serve meals and prepare snacks to children at feeding times (this requires lifting children up to approx. 35 lbs.). --Meal time is a time for conversation and communication. Teachers should sit and join them and have conversation.
-To ensure clean and safe feeding and play areas, disinfecting after feeding, art, and table top activities.
-Promote feelings of self-esteem in children.
-Promote feelings of comradery with co-workers.
-Be aware of the normal stages and phases of development in early childhood and be able to implement developmentally appropriate activities for the children in your classroom.
-To keep children clean and comfortable through regular diaper changing, hand washing, changing clothes and washing faces. (This may require the ability to lift children up to approx. 30 lbs. onto a changing table.)
-Bring to the Director's attention any concerns pertaining to a child or family.
Provide breaks to other classroom teacher as directed.
-Assist in laundry and kitchen duties.
-Handle discipline promptly and in accordance to center's Discipline policy.
-Responsible for communicating with families throughout the day for all children in your care on activities including but not limited to feeding, toileting, napping, and play.
--Minimum Education: High School or Equivalent
--Minimum 1yr Experience
--45 hours of mandated DCF training completed within the first year.
--30 hours of in-service per year.
--First Aid and CPR
--Additional Training as prescribed by administration.
--$10.50-$15 per hour
--Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
--Reimbursement for classes
Property Improvement Landscaping Project for Trinity
This past weekend's efforts were amazing!! (Photos above) Everything went wonderfully on Saturday and we had a large team of American Heritage Girls and Trinity members who worked hard to remove all the plant material rather quickly. It started raining at the end but it was fun finishing things up in the rain. The team decided to expand the project to include the area in front of the CDC's entrance as well. Overall, it was a lot of fun and a lot of hard work. THANK YOU to all who came out to help, and all those who generously donated to cover the cost of the project!!
Next TWO Landscape Workdays 7am to Noon
7a-12p or any amount of time you're available during that time. All efforts are welcomed and appreciated! (Please bring water, gloves and any helpful tools too! Thanks).
July 17 - planting July 24 - mulching
Connecting with your Trinity family outside of worship and church events is essential! We all need a line of connection to a smaller group of Christian friends with whom we can share our lives, grow in Christ, have some fun, and to encourage one another in personal outreach efforts in our own circles of influence. For that reason, we'd like to connect people living in the same or adjacent zip codes so that you've got multiple nearby church family members with whom to connect throughout the week!
If you'd like to connect with others within YOUR zipcode, contact Chanda Gillenwater, Trinity's MInistry & Communication Coordinator. The goal is to connect every person at Trinity with their very own ZIP LINE where they can build those deep relationships.
You Can Help a First Time Guest - SEND IN PHOTOS
DID YOU KNOW? Most people check out a new church online before ever stepping foot onto a church campus. They read our Trinity Weekly online, read over the pages of our website, look at campus maps, listen to the sermons, check out our Facebook page, browse the YouTube channel, and in all those areas, they see PHOTOS of the life of Trinity. That's why we like to have as many photos as possible from our Trinity family, in all aspects of the life of the Chruch.... so that we can post these in the Trinity Weekly, share on the Website, and use as Marketing material to show others what we're all about and reduce some of that "FIRST TIME GUEST" anxiety. Whether its photos of campus work days, of the choir sining via Zoom, kids in Fridat Comunion, Confirmation Essays, Confirmation classes, Trinity members in a meeting or Bible study group all spaced out with masks on, a group out in the community doing a service project with family and friends. ALL of them tell the story of what it's like to be part of the Trinity Family PLEASE, Send in your photos of Trinity Family moments! Send LOTS! Send to Chanda at TLC@TrinityDowntown.com.
We're livestreaming Sunday 10am worship every weekend. If you need any help finding any services or subscribing to our YouTube channel, please contact Chanda at TLC@TrinityDowntown.com or 407-490-7339.
Christian Yoga continues online via Zoom on Mondays @ 6:30pm. Now more than ever - the relaxation of yoga is a tremendous benefit. Email Beth for more information at email@example.com.
Support Trinity Downtown while you shop!
Start your Amazon shopping from Amazon smile, and you’ll a small percentage of your shopping totals will be donated to Trinity ministries! THANK YOU!
Small groups connect you to others where you can learn, connect, and grow in ways which will strengthen and equip you to share the gospel and serve in your local community and beyond! That’s straight from Trinity’s mission statement and our commitment to bring people one step closer to Jesus.
Trinity’s mission: to share the gospel through ministries which strengthen and equip people for Christian witness and services in downtown, metropolitan Orlando and the world.
Currently Running Groups (see red notes for NEW info)
Weekly Men's IHOP Breakfast and Devotions Group (ongoing)
- Men's small group for the early birds amoung us!
- Meets weekly at IHOP on Colonial drive
- Thursday mornings at 6:30am
- contact Omar at firstname.lastname@example.org for details
Immerse Bible Reading Experience, Book 3: Kingdoms
- Book needed, daily readings, eight week plan (June 7 through 8 wks)
MONDAYS at 7pm with Pastor Doug, via ZOOM.
Join Zoom Meeting by going to this link:
- Meeting ID: 871 5950 5495
- Passcode: 872275
More info about ordering, audio book access and supplemental materials can be found HERE
Immerse: Kingdoms is the third of six volumes in Immerse: The Bible Reading Experience. Kingdoms presents a new and unique journey through the story of Israel from the time of its conquest of Canaan (Joshua) through its struggle to settle the land (Judges, Ruth) and the establishment of Israel’s kingdom, which ends in a forced exile (Samuel–Kings). The nation of Israel, commissioned to be God’s light to the nations, falls to division and then foreign conquest for rejecting God’s rule.
Grief Share - Grief Recovery Support Group
Discussion leader is Norma Smith, contact at email@example.com
Tuesdays at 1pm, LOGGIA 3, in-person, workbook needed
- Each weekly session is a stand-alone session - so you can join at any time and at any pace!
GriefShare is for people grieving the death of a family member or friend. You’ve probably found there are not many people who understand the deep hurt you feel. This can be a confusing time when you feel isolated and have many questions about things you’ve never faced before. Grief Share support groups are led by people who understand what you are going through and have been trained to facilitate this support group. Please share with others who may need to hear about this. These groups are open to all. To learn more visit https://www.griefshare.org/ . Questions? Contact Trinity’s Ministry & Communications Coordinator, Chanda, at 407-490-7339 or TLC@TrinityDowntown.com
Participants will gain access to valuable GriefShare resources to help you recover from your loss and look forward to rebuilding your life. It is a friendly, caring group of people who will walk alongside you through one of life’s most difficult experiences. You don’t have to go through the grieving process alone. GriefShare meets weekly for 13 weeks. Each GriefShare session has three distinct elements:
- Video seminar with experts Each week your GriefShare group will watch a video seminar featuring top experts on grief and recovery subjects. These videos are produced in an interesting television magazine format featuring expert interviews, real-life case studies, dramatic reenactments, and on-location video.
- Support group discussion with focus After viewing the video, you and the other group members will spend time as a support group, discussing what was presented in that week’s video seminar and what is going on in your lives.
- Personal study and reflection During the week you will have the opportunity to use your workbook for further personal study of the grieving process and to help sort out your emotions through journaling. Your group will spend time discussing questions and comments from the workbook study.
Prayer Bible Study Group
Pastor Doug leads an evening prayer group on Wednesdays at 7pm. For a weekly check-in, a lesson on prayer, and time to pray with and for one another, contact Pastor Doug for the Zoom meeting invitation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday Adult Bible Study - Studying Lectionary Readings
Sunday Mornings 8:45am adult group will meeting in-person at Trinity with the option of Zoom link for those who aren't yet meeting in-person! Studying lectionary readings each week. Contact Gregg Yawman at email@example.com for moreinformation.
Coming AUGUST 25 SUNDAY SCHOOL returns for children and youth 4 years through 12th grade (class breakdowns between 4yrs and 5th grade, MS and HS)
Coming AUGUST 28 - Foundations of Faith which doubles as our New Member Class. Please sign up with Chanda at TLC@trinitydowntown.com.
Adult Bible Study - IMMERSE Bible Reading Experience - POETS
Starts first week of September
- Sunday mornings Fellowship Hall on campus plus Zoom
- Tuesday morning and evening on campus
- Saturday evening on campus Loggia 3 with Bob Trapp
- Book needed, daily readings, eight week plan
More info about ordering, audio book access and supplemental materials can be found HERE
Immerse: Poets is the fifth of six volumes in Immerse: The Bible Reading Experience. Poets presents the poetical books of the First Testament in two groupings, dividing the books between songbooks (Psalms, Lamentations, Song of Songs) and wisdom writings (Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Job). These writings all reflect the daily, down-to-earth faith of God’s people as they live out their covenant relationship with him in worship and wise living.
Tuesday Morning Women’s Group, "Women of the Word" - WOW
WOW will break for the summer and return in September
Book needed-order here, Weekly reading assignment, jump in anytime
Starting September 7 with Max Lucado's ANXIOUS FOR NOTHING
- Tuesdays at 9am, Loggia 3, in-person.
Contact Terry at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Online/At Your Own Pace
Rev. Milan Weerts, Trinity's visitation pastor, who also serves as visitation pastor for Woodlands Lutheran in Montverde, has written numerous studies which you can access online and read at your own pace.
If you have questions regarding any of the lesons, you are welcome to connect with Pastor Weerts at StrongInChrist@CFL.RR.COM
July 17 - Landscaping Workday 7a-12p (planting)
July 24 - Landscaping Workday 7a-12p (mulching)
August 22 SUNDAY SCHOOL returns - children, MS and HS
August 28 Foundations of Faith / New Member Class Begins
All prayers are kept on the list for a period of three weeks, so please resubmit long term prayer needs regularly.
Those Fighting Cancer
Jamie J, Rick B, Andy S, Sandy A, Karl S, Bruce S
Omar D, Chuck K, Morgan Z, Bonnie H, Charlie L, Norma S, Clara M, Hazel H
Mindy, H, Karen E, Margaret
Surgery and Recovery/Hospitalized
For those prayers that have been shared in confidence, you know the details, Lord. We lift them up to you.
Our Trinity Missionaries
Wasmund Family in East Asia, Trump Family in Kenya, Clausing Family in Tanzania, Lehman Family in Spain, Young Family in Kenya
For Our Communities - For Our Nation - For Our World
We pray for our nation, for our Nation's leaders, for its people, and for our future together as One Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all! We pray that we may all be a reflection of Christ's love, sharing grace and mercy, living in peace with one another. Let's reach out, listen, connect, and have those hard conversations. Love is first. Love wins.
- For all those caring for aging and/or ill family members in need
- Prayers for our CDC staff & families, Trinity membership and all Trinity staff & leaders
- For all those struggling with mental health issues
- Prayers for all of the front line workers in our community and nation; our doctors, nurses, EMT, fire fighters, special needs caregivers, essential workers and police.
- Prayers for all those who have Covid-19 to be restored to full health
- Prayers for those who have lost their job or who have been furloughed. And we give thanks for those who have found new employment or have been able to return to their jobs.
- Prayers of thanks for God’s daily provisions.
The Week of June 26-27, 2021
31 in person
97 in person
Downtown Orlando Fireworks at the Fountain
Join us at the 44th Annual Fireworks at the Fountain on Sunday, July 4! From 5 to 10 p.m., enjoy live entertainment, family friendly fun and food and beverages available for purchase from a variety of vendors. At 9:15 p.m., the sky will illuminate with a spectacular fireworks finale, set to a live patriotic performance by the Orlando Concert Band. Can't make it? Not yet comfortable attending in-person events? Watch the festivities live on News 6 WKMG starting at 8 p.m., or stream online at clickorlando.com.
The St. Luke's Concert Series
Current Covid-19 Safety Procedures
The Center for Disease Control has published, “Risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection is minimal for fully vaccinated people..." (and research shows this includes those with naturally acquired immunities.) "The risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission from fully vaccinated people to unvaccinated people is also reduced. Therefore, fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing…"
Trinity no longer requires masking and 6 ft social distancing for all in attendance who have been vaccinated. Those not fully vaccinated or those who are immunocompromised are encouraged to follow CDC guidance for prevention measures. For anyone with Covid or other health concerns, Trinity will provide a separate seating areas for those who wish to continue to mask and distance in worship. This seating will be loacted in the northwest and northeast wings/vestibule (the pews in front on each side) of the Sanctuary. Trinity will also continue to offer ON LINE worship as well.
Please also note that during school operating hours, M-F. 7:30-5:30pm, Trinity’s campus is host to our Child Development Center and Quest School – both of which still require masking and distancing. If your weekday activities bring you in proximity to those school programs while on campus, we ask that you wear a mask.