Coming Up…
With bright and hot summer days in the Northern Hemisphere, August is a great month for the Trowbridge offices. As with most summer months, many of our team members are enjoying warm vacation days, and we hope our clients are too!

Our London UK office will be closed for a bank holiday on August 28th. 

Please make sure to check our Important Dates section below, to know your deadlines for our team. 
To connect with us on Instagram, LinkedIn, or Twitter, simply click on each symbol above and "follow" our page! 
Upcoming Events:

September 10-12, 2017
- Partner Ernie (Arun) Nagratha will have a booth at:
The Canadian Employee Relocation Council (CERC) 2017 Conference
Calgary, Alberta

A Few Items to Consider When Moving Abroad From Canada

By Ruby Chouhan
Client Services and Business Development, Rental Division

Today’s world of connectivity allows easier access to jobs and various opportunities on a global scale, whether volunteering half way across the world to teach English, mastering a culinary class with the top chefs in France to finding the perfect job that you always wanted on the beaches of Bali. While beginning a new journey often feels like a dream come true, these exciting life changes are accompanied by a series of tasks to make it successful. To ensure a smooth transition with few bumps along the way, we suggest taking the following steps:

Moving To Your New Destination
Lots of research, lots of planning! Upon arrival to your new destination, you will be met with countless surprises that you might not have considered, but on a positive note there is a lot of preparation you can do before your arrival. 

If your current employer is transitioning you to another country for work purposes, ask if they can set you up with a Relocation Counsellor. These counsellors often assist with helping find a suitable home for you and your family, setting up children in school, finding family doctors, arranging shipping for your items, transportation options and many other items to get you situated in your new community.

Transitioning abroad on your own? We highly suggest making a checklist of the necessary items, including: emergency phone numbers, ie. Police department, fire department, emergency health services; create a detailed packing list of what needs to go and what can stay or be given away/donated; if a different language is spoken in your new country – at a minimum learn common words or phrases prior to departure. Also, make sure you set up new bank accounts and transfer funds as required. Moreover, a great resource once you move abroad are other expats in your country, as they have already made the move and they could provide you with some great tips for your new locale so join a club and make friends!

Most importantly – have your documents ready with copies; passports, visas, citizenship documents, police checks, birth certificates, etc.

Leaving Canada - The Canadian Tax System
Moving or working abroad does not necessarily mean that you are considered a non-resident for tax purposes, depending on your ties to Canada, number of days in Canada and other factors, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) may consider you a: Factual Resident, Deemed Resident, Non-Resident or Deemed Non-Resident.

If you are a non-resident, then properly exiting the Canadian Tax System is crucial. Otherwise, there is potential for double taxation on your worldwide income, application of incorrect tax rates, and penalties and/or interest accruing. In order to terminate your Canadian Residence in the tax system you will need to file a departure tax return indicating your date of departure. This date of departure varies if you have a spouse or dependents or if you are becoming a deemed resident of a new country. Furthermore, on your departure tax you may need to include a deemed disposition – if leaving the country, the CRA treats any property you own as if it was sold at the current fair market value when you become a non-resident. Depending if there is a capital gain or capital loss, tax may be applicable or a loss could be claimed on your return.

CLICK HERE to continue reading and learn more about tax compliance when moving abroad!

Happy Travels & Life Journeys from the Trowbridge Team!

[Please keep in mind that everyone’s specific situation is unique, always seek expert advice from the appropriate parties. Regarding tax, ensure you receive experienced, professional advice from a firm specializing in tax advice. Trowbridge has been providing such tax expertise for 15 years, on a global basis and is available for consultations.]

For more information, please contact: 
Arun (Ernie) Nagratha,  Partner
NEW Toll-Free Number
Trowbridge has a new toll-free phone number! This is just one more way that we aim to provide convenient worldwide service for our clients. 
Call us toll-free at 1(855)856-0TAX, or 1(855)856-0829!

Important Upcoming Dates:

October 16, 2017
- US tax return filing due date for extended returns (US)

October 16, 2017
- Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR) filing due date for extended FinCEN Form 114 (US)

Toronto Solar Eclipse

On Monday, August 21, 2017, the much-anticipated solar eclipse of the west Northern Hemisphere occurred right overhead at the Trowbridge Toronto office. Only 76% of the sun was covered by the moon from the Toronto vantage point during this eclipse. There will not be another solar eclipse visible in this part of the globe until 2024. Lionel Chen, our Director of US Corporate tax, was kind enough to share special eclipse-viewing glasses with our participating team members, and photos from the viewing are below:
Toronto - London, UK - Vancouver 
Trowbridge is an independent member of The Global Tax Network .

 Trowbridge is an independent member of the Global Expansion Advisory Network .

WANDERTRUST is a newsletter compiled with a digest of some timely and relevant news links or articles selected for the WANDERTRUST newsletter from thousands of sources by an independent newsletter consultant. Trowbridge Professional Corporation or any associated company does not endorse any of the advertised products and services. Opinions expressed in the articles or news links are those of the author and not of Trowbridge/associated company. Trowbridge does contribute an article written by a variety of staff members, but does not provide any tax advice or consulting in these articles. No information contained in any articles, whether sourced or provided by Trowbridge/associated companies, is to be considered tax advice, and we strongly recommend that you consult with a tax professional.