We r where u r: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter @DigitalLA, DigitalLA.net for networking!
Hey, Digital LA peeps!
SAG Awards: Congrats to #TheHelp for 3 SAG Award wins: Ensemble Cast, Viola Davis - Actress, and Octavia Spencer - Supporting Actress. The @SAGawards twitter did a great job with pre-show setup pics, up-to-the-second red carpet pics, and quick winners listings. #SAGawards and several actors were Top 10 Trending Topics. List of SAG Awards winners
- DGA Awards. Congrats Michel Hazanavicius of The Artist for winning DGA - Director Award. At the DGA's Meet the Nominees panel before the DGA Awards, Martin Scorsese said, "3D is not a gimmick. It's the way we see life." He said he was inspired to make Hugo in 3D, after being inspired by everything from the ViewMaster toy to Avatar, to George Lucas' 3D digital theater. He advised: focus on 3D to help you tell the story; even the placement of a plant or something in the foreground can help. He also said digital helped. List of all DGA Awards winners
- Matthew Broderick's Superbowl Ad
Matthew Broderick reprises Ferris Bueller in a Super Bowl ad that was released on YouTube this morning. Yes, it's a Honda commercial, but fun to see Matthew taking a day off in LA to the Santa Monica Pier, Malibu, La Brea Tar Pits Page Museum. We think that's the Montage Beverly Hills at the beginning, and trying to figure out where fictional Chez Neuf (aka '9 times') restaurant-front is. Watch the YouTube video - nice viral campaign with last wk's teaser trailer.
THIS WEEK Digital LA - Twitter for Actors
. Wed 2/1. We'll discuss Twitter and other digital tools for actors at our workshop. Join us to learn who to follow, how to get followers, what to tweet about, and more. Bring your phone/laptop/ipad: interactive. And we'll also feature guest speakers including: casting for the Artist and founder of Actor Genie, the app which helps actors find out about industry jobs and news, and the founder of Cast It systems, an online casting tool used to help cast roles in The Descendants, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Paranormal Activity 3, etc. Register
OUR RECENT EVENTS Australia Day Panel & Pub
. We celebrated with didgeridoos andour panel on transmedia, web videos, digital distribution and startups with our all-Aussie panelists. Article
Sundance Cocktails: We teamed up with engage:BDR up on Main St. in Park City for our third Sundance Cocktails on Sat. See PICS.
Brian Solis is speaking at LinkedOC on 2/22 in Costa Mesa. We've reserved a limited block of tickets for Digital LA members to attend for FREE. To RSVP, enter discount code "digitalla" at http://endofbusinessasusual.eventbrite.com/
Congrats Digital at AWARDS SEASON
- Producers Guild Awards: Tin-Tin wins Animated film; 30 Rock wins Web series.
- Oscars noms: Animated Film: Kung Fu Panda 2, Puss in Boots, Rango; VFX: Harry Potter, Hugo, Real Steel, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Transformers
- Golden Globes: Tin-Tin wins animated film, accepted by Spielberg. Congrats to noms: Puss in Boots, Rango, Arthur Christmas, Cars 2.
- 2/1 Digital LA - Twitter for Actors Workshop
- 2/5 Superbowling @ Lucky Strike:
- 2/6 Digital LA - Digital Music Panel:
Speakers from Grammys, Mobile Roadie, Rap Genius, Music Prodigy
- 2/7 Massive Game Developer Meet Up
- 2/13 Digital LA - Love Goes Digital panel
- 2/15 Digital LA - Latino Content Panel
- 2/26 Digital LA - Oscars Viewing Party, TBD
- 2/28 Digital LA - Scrum Essentials w Jeff Sutherland
- March: GDC Cocktails, SXSW Cocktails OUR RECENT EVENTS
- Australia Day Panel
- Harvard Hollywood
- Digital Distribution
- Social Media for Social Good: Partners
- 20 tips: Movies & Music Go Social
- 12 Tips to Viral Videos
Our Australia Day, Sundance and CES Party pics:
Promote your startup, business, launch or jobs via a 590x90 banner ad here to reach thousands of digital entertainment professionals. Or sponsor an upcoming event to promote your company, product or service. Email email@example.com for rates with SPONSOR as subject.
|Digital LA - Twitter for Actors Workshop|
Wed Feb 1, 7-9:30p @ The Churchill, West Hollywood
Join us for our workshop on Twitter and Digital Tools for Actors. We'll discuss beginner basics for actors including: who to follow, getting followers, what to tweet about, how often, etc. Hands-on: bring your phone, iPad or laptop cuz we'll tweet and follow each other i...n real time. We'll also discuss apps and other digital tools to help u find out about casting, industry news, etc. with our guest speakers.
ADVANCED REGISTRATION http://digitallatwactor.eventbrite.com/
Scheduled Guest Speakers:
- Heidi Levitt, Casting Director / Producer. Heidi has cast films including multiple awards-nominated The Artist, as well as JFK, Nixon, The Rock, Joy Luck Club, etc. Heidi developed Actor Genie, the only iPhone app with casting info, industry contacts and ways to get cast even if you don't have an agent. Actor Genie has been featured in the New York Times, LA Times, Hollywood Reporter, etc. @theactorgenie
- Eric Hayes, Cast IT Systems, Founder. Cast IT lets actors upload their headshots and reels to an online database, used by casting directors for major movie, TV studios and production companies to cast for roles including: The Descendants, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Paranormal Activity 3, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, etc. @castittalent
- Moderator: Kevin Winston, Digital LA @DigitalLA @kevinwinston
CALL FOR SPEAKERS: We're looking for up-and-coming/ established actors with strong Twitter use/following, casting managers/ directors, etc. to be speakers. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with ACTOR as subject
- 7-8: Check-in and Networking, Cash bar/menu specials.
- 8-9:30p Workshop and Panel Discussion
CALL FOR SPONSORS: email email@example.com with ACTOR as subject.
|Digital LA - Music Apps & Distribution Panel|
Mon Feb 6, 7-9:30p @ Shangri La
Hotel, Santa Monica
Join us for our pre-Grammys Digital Music: Apps & Distribution panel! We'll discuss music apps, and distribution with experts from the Grammys, Mobile Roadie, and start-ups. Topics include: music app features (what should a music/band app do?), licensing, promotion, distr...ibution and social media. REGISTER to attend http://digitallamusicapp.eventbrite.com/
Scheduled speakers so far:
- Lindsay Gabler, Recording Academy (The GRAMMYs), Social Media Specialist. The Grammys app lets u get news, see videos, photos, and previous winners, play trivia. Lindsay was named Billboard's Twitter 140: Music Industry Characters You Need to Follow list http://bit.ly/g3tw89 @lndsygblr @TheGRAMMYs
- Nicole Cifani, Mobile Roadie, Head of VIP Client/Partner Relations. Clients including Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Drake, Taio Cruz, Adele, Madonna, David Guetta, Staples Center, etc. who use Mobile Roadie to create their official apps. @mobileroadie @cifani
- Mahbod Moghadam, founder of Rap Genius, a site where users provide explanations of rap, R&B, and other genre lyrics to get Rap IQ points. You can listen to songs, read their lyrics, and click the lines that interest you for pop-up explanations. @RapGenius
- Harold Lee, Music Prodigy. Co-Founder, CEO. The Music Prodigy platform teaches you how to play songs from your favorite artists as it listens and scores what you play with your own instrument. Its apps include the Appy-Award winning Rock Prodigy app and the Dave Mustaine: Guitar Prodigy app.
- Rynda Laurel, digital marketing consultant for the Smashing Pumpkins, digital music speaker at MIDEM, etc. @rynda
- Kevin Winston, Digital LA @DigitalLA @kevinwinston
CALL FOR SPEAKERS with cutting edge music apps or music distribution startups: email firstname.lastname@example.org with MUSIC as the subject and ur bio
CALL FOR SINGERS/ BAND: We are looking for a singer / ban with a music app to play 1-3 songs gratis, acoustic or small setup only, immediately after the panel, and say a few words about their app. Email email@example.com with MUSIC as the subject
CALL FOR SPONSORS: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with MUSIC as the subject to promote your music product, service, speaker, etc. Great way to reach music-minded industry professionals in LA!Digital LA is also using Mobile Roadie to build our app with events and pics - watch for it soon!
Enjoy complimentary ONE Coconut Water and drink cocktail specials a the bar.
|Digital LA - Australia Day: Panel & Pub|
WEST HOLLYWOOD - We discussed transmedia, web videos, startups and digital distribution with our all-Aussie panelists at our Australia Day Panel & Pub. We also discussed starting a company or entertainment career in Australia and LA. Thanks to our panelists and thanks to the Churchill, which added an Aussie beef meat pie to the menu just for us! Article. PICS.
- The Australian government offers funds for films and startups to help get your project started. But most panelists agreed that if you're gonna go big, it helps to come to the US for bigger audiences, investors, and advertiser budgets. Several panelists run bi-country biz, with the LA office making media/ad/investment deals, and the content creation or programming done in Ausralia.
- Resources like Austrade (Australian Trade Commission) and the "Australian mafia" of Aussie VCs and developer communities in Silicon Valley can help startups.
- Transmedia is shifting focus from elaborate multi-platform campaigns and ARGs that only the 2% superfans would use, to easy-access simple campaigns for mainstream viewers. Your transmedia campaign should be tailored to your audience and which platforms they are most likely to use, said Nathan Mayfield, Hoodlum. For example, mobile for teens, etc. Also, transmedia campaigns reward users for following along with more than just a good story; they are starting to add online rewards points, frequent flier miles, discounts, and virtual currency & goods.
- Web Videos: Motivational speaker Eve Ash's Seven Dimensions creates comedy web videos for corporate clients to help train employees on proper work behavior. She realized that rather than create one-off work-for-hire content she doesn't own, she decided to develop her own web series IP "Cutting Edge Communication" that could be sponsored or licensed. She advised that since digital is changing so rapidly, keep your web series production / costs lean and nimble and focus on biz dev / distribution and sponsorship deals for revenue.
- Digital Distribution. Miramax is focused on international digital distribution of its iconic award-winning film library including Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Shakespeare in Love, Amelie, and Good Will Hunting. Top films are packaged with smaller movies, and distributed via careful windows coordination to Netflix, Hulu, Facebook etc in the US, and to international services like NetMovies in Brazil, and services in Asia and Europe. Distribution partners can distribute films via devices including PC, Macs, Smart TVs, Blu-Ray, iOS and Android tablets, smartphones, and videogame consoles.
- Startup: The startup Movr creates an online community for film-lovers to discuss, review, and rate films. This can generate online buzz and demand for a film with a small or no marketing budget, or generate buzz for a major release after theatrical marketing budgets have run out. Upcoming features included Facebook app and gamification to reward using the site features. Founder Antony is looking for investors and film festival partners in the U.S., with site programming back in Australia.
- Aussie Natalie Tran's CommunityChannel on YouTube is one of the most popular, with each video > 1M views. She provides voice to Aussie-Asians which aren't on TV much.
Thanks to Austrade for helping promote, and thanks again to our SPEAKERS!
- Nathan Mayfield, Hoodlum, CCO and Co-Founder @hoodlumactive
- Kavi Selvarajah Esq., Miramax, Manager, Contracts and Windows
- Antony Hing, Movr, CEO and Co-Founder. @antony_hing
- Eve Ash, CEO of Seven Dimensions. @eveash @7_DimensionsThanks ATTENDEES for great tweet-notes!
Australia is good place to start projects because of free govt. money --then bring it to USA
: In order for #transmedia
to work it has to be mainstream and easy. #digitalLAAus
International content rights licensing use different meanings for the same words than in USA, e.g. Pay-per-view
RT @stevesievers #digitalLAaus
this aus trade "aus Mafia" talk is very interesting
|Digital LA - Superbowl Viewing Party|
Sun Feb 5, 11a-7p @ Lucky Strike LA Live
We're getting a Digital LA crew together to watch the Superbowl at Lucky Strike Lanes at LA Live in downtown LA. Their SUPER BOWL-ing PARTY is back for Super Bowl XLVI! Watch the New York Giants rematch the New England Patriots rematch! And watch the ads, count the digi...tal / tech, commercials, and tweet-along live during the game.
FREE RSVP: http://digitallasb.eventbrite.com/
If we get enough Digital LA peeps, who want to bowl during the Superbowl, we can split a lane.
Lucky Strike at LA Live features 15 big screens, surround sound, over 20 VIP Tables, 18 state of the art bowling lanes each with their own screen, Video DJ before and after the game, pool tables, outdoor patio, 3 rooms and 2 bars with full menu.
|Digital LA - Love Goes Digital Panel|
Mon Feb 13, 7-10p @ Shangri La
Hotel, Santa Monica
Join us for our pre-Valentine's Day "Digital LA - Love Goes Digital" panel! We'll discuss trends and tips in online dating (what should your profile pic be, what description, social media for dating), how sites like eHarmony and dating authors use social media to promote., how romantic comedies market and tie into V-day, and more.
ADVANCED REGISTRATION REQUIRED, Space Limited to 50.
Scheduled Speakers include:
- Grant Langston, eHarmony. Senior Director, Social Media @eHarmony
- Julie Spira, bestselling author of "The Perils of Cyber-Dating." Named one of the Top 10 Columnists to Follow on Twitter by YourTango. Julie's site CyberDatingExpert.com was a finalist for Best Dating Blog in the Readers' Choice Awards. @JulieSpira
- Justin Fredericks, founder, Marriage.com, offers personalized advice for weddings & marriages from experts & couples @marriagedotcom
- Frank Mastronuzzi, Chief Love Officer and Founder of OneGoodLove.com, a gay lesbian long-term relationship dating site, with more than 60,000 registered users, and partnerships with Instinct Magazine and Tom Whitman Presents. Formerly at Match.com, Sr Director of Business Development @OneGoodLove
- Jennifer Kelton, @BadOnlineDates, blog to share and find comfort in bad online dating stories
- Evan Marc Katz, Dating Coach, Author and CEO of E-Cyrano, which helps women write successful online profiles. Author of two best-selling online dating books. Just won the iDate Awards "Best Dating Coach." Uses social media including videos, Facebook and Twitter. @evanmarckatz
Moderator: Kevin Winston, Digital LA. @DigitalLA
CALL FOR SPEAKERS: If u do digital/social media dating, love or romance, email email@example.com with LOVE as the subject.
- 7-8p Networking with Digital Drink specials: Love Potions and Aphrodisiac Cocktails in the Suite 700 bar
- 8-9:15p Panel in the Penthouse
- 9:15-10p Even more Networking in the Suite 700 bar.
CALL FOR SPONSORS: If u'd like to promote your company or service, especially for Valentine's Day, email firstname.lastname@example.org with LOVE as the subject. Especially looking for chocolate, restaurant dinner sponsors, couples spa package sponsors, etc.
|Digital LA - Latino Content|
Wed Feb 15, 6-8:30p @ Taberna
, Beverly Hills
Vamos a our panel on digital creation and distribution of content for Latino audiences. We'll discuss what type of Latino content is successful, themes for mainstream auds, Latino actors / language. We'll also discuss content distribution, marketing and social media. REGISTRATION available soon.Scheduled Speakers
- Bernadette Rivero, President of The Cortez Brothers
, which produces feature films, TV, web series and commercials for audiences including U.S. Hispanics, international Latin audiences, everyday Americans, and lovers of great storytelling. TV cooking show "Pati's Mexican Table" integrates with the blog it's based on. Storytelling clients include Warner Bros, Endemol, etc.
- Dan Carrillo Levy, Director of the Creative and Interactive department at H&M Communications.
Creates, writes, and develops content for Latinos. Works with Universal Pictures, Disney on Latino marketing and publicity for film, TV shows. @HM_Comm.AGENDA
- 6-7p: Check-in and Networking. Cash bar/menu; mention Digital LA for 10% off your bill
- 7-8:30p Head upstairs to the private dining room for panel
- 8:30p Post networking, feel free to make dinner reservations
Taberna is a new Mexican restaurant in Beverly Hills @TabernaBHCALL FOR SPEAKERS:
If u create digital content for Latino auds, email email@example.com with LATINO as subject and your digital content bio. We are especially looking for someone from Maker Studios' Tutele, Univision, Telemundo, Dora, etc.CALL FOR SPONSORS:
email firstname.lastname@example.org with LATINO as subj
|Digital LA - Scrum with Jeff Sutherland|
Tue Feb 28, 5:30-7:30p @ Upper West
, Santa Monica
Join our fourth one-on-one chat with Jeff Sutherland, often known as the Father of Scrum. Jeff will lead a discussion on using Scrum including techniques, use, educating others in ur company about scrum, etc. He'll be joined by Scott Downey, RapidScrum.com. REGISTER http://digitallascrum4.eventbrite.com/
Jeff co-founded Scrum, an industry-standard process where a team meets frequently to determine and assign task priorities, to ensure the project (programming code) is delivered on time. (non-programmers: if you've walked by your IT department gathered around yellow stickies on a board, that's Scrum.)
Jeff is in town running two SCRUM certification courses that week: Scrum Master Certification Feb 27-28 and Product Owner Certification Mar 1-2. He is offering Digital LA peeps an additional $75 discount off either course. Visit http://rapidscrum.com/ to find course descriptions at bottom of page and register. In the "Anything else we should know?" section, enter "Digital LA" so the $75 discount can be applied. Early bird rates of $1,500 expire Jan 31, when rates go up to $1800.
If ur interested in sponsoring this event to reach programmers, engineers, etc., please contact email@example.com with SCRUM as the subject.
|Digital LA - Sundance Cocktails (Park City)|
PARK CITY, UTAH: We had a snow-blast at our Digital LA - engage:BDR Sundance Cocktails during the Sundance Film Fest, at Flanagan's (aka the Guinness House) on Main St. in Park City Utah. We traded notes on best films, parties, and gifting suites as we warmed up with the Entegrate! Irish Coffee. Attendees included: award-winning Sundance producers, directors and filmmakers who spoke on a pre-panel, Slamdance filmmakers, and attendees from Fox, CBS, SAG New Media, Harvard Business School, content creators, advertisers, indie film social media gurus, and more. Thanks to our co-hosts engage:BDR, IVY Entertainment and Yale in Hollywood. Check our PICS.
Entegrate! by engage:BDR is a fully integrated digital production platform specializing in premium branded entertainment. Entegrate! delivers brands, top talent, and cutting edge content to a guaranteed target audience using our top 5 international display network. Entegrate! has produced or distributed content for brands such as Ask.com, CBS Interactive, and Nokia.
engage:BDR is an integrated media advertising company with a full arsenal of marketing solutions to drive ROI. Clients include FOX, Sony Pictures, Live Nation, Red Bull, MySpace, Alicia Keys, 50 cent, Rhianna, and dozens more.
|CES: Our CES party pics + show floor and parties |
LAS VEGAS: Tech-digital fans from LA, NY, Paris, London, etc., networked at our CES Cocktails with IZEA at the Cosmopolitan Marquee club in Las Vegas. We traded notes on fave gadgets from the Consumer Electronics Show, cool parties, and enjoyed cocktails with friendly folks from IZEA. Check the PICS.
We warmed up by the glow of the fireplace and played billiards in the Library, and then explored the Marquee's three-story video wall dance floor w DJ Chuckie, lases and confetti cannon blasts; outdoor pool with cabanas and views, and the underground downstairs Boombox club. Thanks to Digital LA newcomers, friends, IZEA and Marquee
CES Show Highlights:
Lots going on, check out our CES Album
with show floor gadgets and party pics including Tiesto and Ludacris concerts - TVs
are thinner, bigger, and 3D like last year, plus: more apps like Hulu and YouTube, portable (carry a screen like a briefcase) wireless home hub connectivity, and motion controlled. LG's huge 3D HD / OLED TVs are so clear and 3D, they look hologramic.- Tablets:
Seems every computer / device company showed off a new tablet, or upgrades to last year's: Blackberry PlayBook, Panasonic, Dell, Fujitsu, Lenovo, etc. Some tablets are getting bigger between iPad and laptop size.- Celebs
showing up more (much like celebs started coming to Comic-Con several years ago). Tom Hanks promoted his new web series on Yahoo!, Justin Timberlake promoted MySpace TV - Panasonic integration, Justin Bieber promoted mRobo robot.
Tiesto promoted the new HP laptop and his new web series with Believe Entertainment Group at the HP Intel party at XS at Encore. Ludacris performed at Haze at the Aria to promote SOUL by Ludacris headphones, and - Other trends:
Waterproof cell phones and electronics, smart Internet-connected kitchens, appliances, homes and cars, celebrity-branded headphones (Ludacris, 50 cent, even Snooki), eco/green friendly electronics, videogame accessories like rumble seats, Tobii eye-tracking on-screen navigation, Neustar promoting UltraViolet (Neustar was on our Distribution panel)- IAWTV Awards
were held for the first time in Las Vegas, at the Venetian Showroom. Congrats to all noms and winners including multiple-award winners:
- The Guild / Felicia Day
: Best Comedy,
Comedy Writing, Comedy Directing, Comedy-Actress, Web Site
- RCVR/Web Series:
Best Drama Web Series, Drama-Actor, Cinematography
- Anyone But Me:
Drama Writing, Drama - Actress,
- Dragon Age Redemption
/ Machinima: Best Makeup/VFX, Design, Costume
- Mercury Men
: Drama - Directing, Visual Effects, Sup.
- What's Trending
: Best Hosted Live Series, Directing Non-Fiction, Host Shira Lazar, Social Media Experience
- Distribution Platform:
- Distinguished Leadership:
See complete list of winners.
|Harvard Hollywood Panel, moderated by Digital LA|
MIRACLE MILE - The Harvard Hollywood panel featured all-Harvard Business School alums from Disney, ABC, Sony and Dreamworks discussing the trends in digital entertainment for film and TV. We discussed the increased focus on franchises and hits, new digital distribution online and via tablets like the iPad, marketing and social media, and how to switch career tracks in entertainment. Thanks to co-hosts the Harvard Business School Association of Southern California, Harvardwood and the HBS Trek. Read the article and see PICS.
|Digital LA - Social Media for Social Good: Partners|
BEVERLY HILLS - Experts from Movember, TOMS, J.Brand and City Year LA, and Sevenly and Drop In The Bucket shared tips on how non-profits and for-profits use social media tools to find strategic partners, coordinate campaigns, raise funds, and work together to do good, at our Social Media for Social Good Partners panel with Non Profit Effect, streamed by Tubefilter at the Hollywood Roosevelt. More than 150 attendees checked out our Social Good Fair featuring Sevenly, City Year LA, Movember, Causecast, PHILANTHRO and more! In the pre-Thanksgiving spirit of giving back, we also collected cans for our canned food drive. Thanks speakers and aud tweeters! Read the article and see our Facebook pics.
|Digital LA - App Marketing panel|
CULVER CITY - Our panel experts who've worked on award-winning, chart-topping mobile apps shared secrets of app success on our App Marketing panel at NextSpace in Culver City.
We discussed how to market your app, from initial planning to launch and upgrades. And panelists covered 15 tools to market your app including: influencers, press, reviews, ratings, social media, text & mobile paid ads, launch parties, conferences & festivals, awards, discounting and more.
Check out our 20 Tips to App Marketing summary
and the Facebook pics
. And we got covered in Liz H Kelly's Examiner article: Top 10 App Marketing Tips
|Digital LA - Movies & Music Go Social @ Viceroy|
SANTA MONICA - Speakers from Paramount, Fox, Sony Pictures, Universal Music, the GRAMMYs and more shared tips on how to use social media to promote new releases, from indie movies and bands to movie franchises and established artists at our Digital LA - Movies Go Social panel at Viceroy Santa Monica, part of Social Media Week LA. We discussed how both movies and music use social media tools including asset release, viral videos, YouTube stars, geolocation / check-in, sweeps & contests, UGC, and ticket purchasing, and more.
Read our 20 Movie & Music Go Social Media tools highlights, and See PICS.
|LinkedIn - Job Board|
|Into digital music marketing? Check out these 2 jobs at an LA agency. |
Several new jobs have been posted on our LinkedIn Jobs tab - and in our LinkedIn Discussions tab (including a Sony Pictures social media job).
Digital LA organizes events for professionals in online
entertainment, marketing, and advertising. Stop on by for
informal casual networking. Join the Digital
LA group at http://www.digitalla.net Attendees work at Sony Pictures, FOX
Interactive, MySpace, Google, Yahoo!, Disney, WB, NBC, EA,
Vivendi Games, Napster, and other entertainment, studios, ad
agencies, and tech companies.