From the Dean
Dear Colleagues,

The annual U.S. News and World report rankings were released last week and we were the only medical school ranked in the top five for research (tied for 4th) and for primary care training (2nd). UCSF was also the only medical school ranked in the top five in all eight of the specialty areas covered by the survey this year.

These rankings are a point of pride and an important recognition of all of your hard work, but the real yardstick by which we measure our success is the impact we have had in transforming education for the physicians and scientists of the future, advancing cutting-edge research, and delivering high-quality, compassionate, and equitable care to patients.

This year, U.S. News included a new diversity ranking, and UCSF was among four University of California medical schools (including UC Davis, UC Riverside, and UCLA) to rank in the top 10. Our performance in this new Diversity Index, which represents the goal of increasing access to medical education, is an important measure of the continued work we are doing to improve diversity, equity, and inclusion at the UCSF School of Medicine.
As a public institution, we first and foremost strive to serve the State of California. The results of this year's Match Day reflect this commitment. After graduation in May, 107 new physicians, or 63% of the class of 2021, will continue their medical education in the Bay Area and across the state. The rest of the class will complete their training in leading hospitals in 18 other states across the country.

Sixty-four, or 37% of the class, were accepted to fields related to primary care, including internal medicine, family medicine, and pediatrics, and the other 63% matched in non-primary care specialties, including emergency medicine, anesthesiology, and obstetrics & gynecology.

Congratulations to all of our students on their successful matches. We are excited for what already have been and will continue to be brilliant careers for each of you.
None of these achievements would be possible without the work of our faculty and staff who are devoted to our mission of advancing medical education, creating a culture for scholarly contributions and student research, and our deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.

Thank you all for the work you do every day — but especially during these unprecedented and challenging times — to make the UCSF School of Medicine such an exceptional place to work, teach, learn, and discover.

Talmadge E. King, Jr., MD
Dean, School of Medicine