Starting January 1, 2018, the New York State Paid Family Leave Program will provide New Yorkers job-protected, paid leave to bond with a new child, care for a loved one with a serious health condition or to help relieve family pressures when someone is called to active military service.
Phased in over four years
2018 - 8 Weeks of Family Leave
2019 - 10 Weeks of Family Leave
2020 - 10 Weeks of Family Leave
2021 - 12 Weeks of Family Leave
Employee Pay Out
Paid Family Leave provides employees a percentage of their average weekly wage, not to exceed a percentage of the New York State average weekly wage (NYSAWW), which is set every year.
2018 - 50% of average weekly wage -
not to exceed 50% of NYSAWW
2019 - 55% of average weekly wage -
not to exceed 55% of NYSAWW
2020 - 60% of average weekly wage -
not to exceed 60% of NYSAWW
2021 - 67% of average weekly wage -
not to exceed 67% of NYSAWW
Other Employee Benefits
- Full Time - Eligible 26 weeks from the date of hire
- Part Time employees eligible after working 175 days
- Employees are guaranteed job protection and continuation of health insurance while on Paid Family Leave. Employees must continue to pay their contribution to premium cost.
- Employees may take intermittently or for less than a full work week in increments of one full day or one-fifth of the weekly benefit
- Mandatory for every Private Employer in New York State
- There is no minimum number of employee requirements for employers
- Employers should contact their current New York Disability Benefits carrier to learn more about adding Paid Family Leave coverage.
- The employee will receive the Paid Family Leave benefit through the insurance policy.
- The Paid Family Leave insurance premium will be funded in full by your employees