Dear early care and education supporters,
We’ve included information for you on small business loans, OCDEL online trainings and the
Philadelphia Emergency Fund for Stabilization of Early Education (PEFSEE).
If you haven’t yet, we also ask you to advocate with us and ask Gov. Wolf and the General Assembly to include child care in a stimulus package to ensure availability of programs for essential workers now and for all families when they return to work at the end of the crisis!
We are collecting stories on how the COVID-19 situation is impacting your business and the families you serve. Respond to this message and tell us your story.
Please let us know how we can continue to help you and we’ll continue to share key updates!
Stay healthy and safe!
The PennAEYC Team
US Chamber of Commerce Guide to Small Business Loans
The US Chamber of Commerce has created a
guide and checklist
for small businesses to help you navigate the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, whch allocated $350 billion to help small businesses keep workers employed amid the pandemic and economic downturn. Known as the Paycheck Protection Program, the initiative provides 100% federally guaranteed loans to small businesses.
Latest DHS/OCDEL COVID-19 Guidance
This guidance was updated such that DHS will not be conducting any annual licensing inspections until Governor Wolf lifts the current Proclamation of Disaster Emergency for COVID-19 or until such other time set by DHS. Licensing staff will continue to investigate incidents and complaints during this time period. If you have questions, please contact your regional licensing representative. DHS staff continue to work during this time period, and you should contact the regional office using their phone number or email. Notification will be provided when DHS resumes conducting annual inspections.
Online Courses from OCDEL
The Pennsylvania Office of Child Development and Early Learning (OCDEL) is offering eight online courses through the PD Registry! These courses include:
Please log into the PD Registry at
to view the course description and register. If you have any questions or problems please contact Barry Wiestling at
CDA Renewal Amnesty Program Deadline Extended - Deadline Now June 30, 2020
Due to recent events, the Council for Professional Recognition is extending the deadline for the CDA Renewal Amnesty Program to June 30, 2020. This program allows anyone with a CDA® credential expiration date as far back as Jan. 1, 2010, an opportunity to complete the renewal process and make their credential active again. Find out more on the
CDA Council website
Philadelphia Emergency Fund for Stabilization of Early Education - PEFSEE
he William Penn Foundation Board of Directors
approved a $5 million grant to support a new emergency fund for early learning organizations. The Vanguard Strong Start for Kids Program committed an additional $2 million to the fund Details on the program include:
- The Philadelphia Emergency Fund for Stabilization of Early Education (PEFSEE) will support organizations that provide early learning for children from birth to age five.
- Childcare, family childcare, pre-k, and home visiting programs in Philadelphia are eligible.
- Providers of these programs can request assistance to sustain basic expenses, support new methods of helping families during the closure period, and support future needs required to re-open.
- At this time, organizations may request a maximum of $20,000. Depending on available funding and demonstrated need, organizations may have an opportunity to apply for additional funding in the future. PEFSEE will alert applicants and potential applicants if a second round of applications will be accepted.
- PEFSEE will be administered by Reinvestment Fund, which will review applications and grant awards on a weekly basis. Reinvestment Fund is rapidly working to set up the application process, and in the meantime those wishing to learn more can visit https://www.reinvestment.com/pefsee/
- We are encouraging additional contributions to PEFSEE to support Philadelphia’s early learning sector and professionals. Foundations or corporations interested in making contributions are welcome to email me or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Individuals wishing to support PEFSEE should visit https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/PEFSEE
PennAEYC COVID-19 W
PennAEYC continues to update the
COVID-19 page on our website
with links to our previous e-messages and to OCDEL announcements and guidance. There are also links to NAEYC and other online resources.
We encourage you to continue to consult these resources for updates on COVID-19, information on staying healthy, and updates on the situation in Pennsylvania.
We also encourage you to visit
for helpful resources that you can use with families and staff to reduce the level of anxiety, communicate what is known to be most appropriate health, hygiene and safety practices, as well as interim guidance for child care businesses.