We hope that you have had a refreshing start to the New Year and have enjoyed our first three Good News Updates of 2014.
But we have just received news of a shock development that we feel we must share with you.
A joint Coalition party room meeting will take place in Canberra on Tuesday 11 February 2014 in which their position on homosexual marriage will be discussed.
A press release from Family Voice Australia www.fava.org.au states:
"Many people welcomed the High Court ruling on 12 December 2013 - that Australian states and territories cannot legalise same-sex "marriage". But the Court also ruled that the federal parliament can pass such a law if it wishes - and the federal parliament also has the power to legalise polygamy, among other disturbing possibilities. Until now, the federal Liberal and National parties have affirmed marriage as a man-woman union as official Coalition policy. But a relentless campaign by TV, radio and newspaper journalists is putting pressure on Tony Abbott to allow a "conscience" vote - which could later result in changing the natural meaning of marriage and denying children their right to both a mum and a dad."
Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young who has vigorously campaigned for a conscience vote on homosexual marriage may also be applying pressure through the Senate.
In response to this pressing situation we ask for your immediate help. May we ask you to make time in the next 24 to 48 hours to pray and to contact and send emails to your Liberal or National Party federal MPs and Senators.
Specifically we ask that you write a one or two sentence email that the Coalition will keep their long-standing party policy on marriage. Here are some suggested ideas to help you write an email in your own words.
- Natural marriage has always meant a man-woman union.
- Keeping marriage between a man and a woman affirms a child's natural right to grow up with both a mum and a dad.
- Recent gold standard US government research shows that married natural mum and dad families are by far the safest family type.
- Legalisation of same-sex marriage overseas has led to promotion of homosexuality in schools.
- Marriage is too important and too central to the welfare of all Australians to be a "conscience" vote - it should be party policy.
- Most Australians who care about the meaning of marriage want to keep it natural - between a man and a woman.
- The Coalition should uphold its party decision to protect marriage in the Marriage Act in 2004 as the union of a man and a woman.
Below is an excellent way to send your email to all your federal Liberal and National Party MP's and Senators.
To find the email address to the federal Liberal and National Party MPs and Senators in your state we recommend that you make use of the emailing service of the Australian Family Association. First click the following link:
Now follow these steps:
- In the Main Menu on the left click 'E-mail your politician'
- Now click the left 'E-mail Member of Parliament' bar
- Tick 'Federal Parliament','Federal House of Representatives' and 'Federal Senate'
- Un-tick 'State Parliament'
- Now for 'Federal House of Representatives' click the dot for 'View Parties'
- Tick only 'LP' and 'Nat'
- Now continue with 'Federal' Senate' and repeat steps 5 to 6
- Finally click 'Compose Message'
Here you will first be asked to include your name and street address to show that you are a genuine voter.
You can use 'Keep Party Policy on Marriage' the subject line or something that will get the right attention.
Compose a message of one or two sentences in your own words using any of the above points or other points on your heart.
Tick whether you want to receive a copy - enter the encoded numbers and then SEND!