1. Make the call: Program the number of USI Public Safety in your cell phone (812-492-7777). If you see a crime in progress, suspicious behavior or any emergency, do not hesitate - make the call. Call Public Safety for any assistance you need.
2. Empower yourself: Consider taking a self-defense class
3. Do not walk alone: Take advantage of the University’s Campus Escort Program or walk with friends or classmates, especially at night. Contact USI Public Safety for escort services: call 812-464-1845 or use a blue emergency phone.
4. Protect your property: Never leave items unattended (backpack, laptop, cell phone), even if it is just for a minute. Make it a habit to take valuables with you, especially during any holiday break.
5. Report solicitors: Solicitation on campus is prohibited! Avoid solicitor scams by politely saying "no" and immediately notifying USI Public Safety at 812-492-7777. Never provide solicitors with your personal information.
6. On the bus: Stay awake and keep your belongings close to you.
7. Grab it. Close it. Lock it.: College parking lots and structures are common targets for thieves. Never leave valuables in your car in plain sight. Make sure your windows are up and lock your doors.
8. Keep personal information private: Avoid becoming a victim of identity theft by carrying only necessary items in your wallet and purse.
9. Keep your residence locked: Do not prop doors open or loan your keys or cards to anyone. Challenge any “piggy back” entry to anyone you don’t know.
10. Always carry identification and emergency contact information: Carry an emergency notification card. Program emergency notification numbers in your phone.