1. Make the call: Students should program the number of USI Public Safety in your cell phone (812-492-7777). Students should call and report crimes in progress, suspicious behavior or any emergency. Public Safety is here to assist.
2. Empower yourself: Students can take a self-defense class.
3. Do not walk alone: Students can take advantage of the University’s Campus Escort Program or walk with friends or classmates, especially at night. They should contact USI Public Safety for escort services: call 812-464-1845 or use a blue emergency phone.
4. Protect your property: Students should never leave items unattended (backpack, laptop, cell phone), even if it is just for a minute. Encourage them to keep their valuables safe and bring them home during breaks.
5. Report solicitors: Solicitation on campus is prohibited! Avoid solicitor scams by politely saying "no" and immediately notifying USI Public Safety at 812-492-7777. Students should never provide solicitors with personal information.
6. On the bus: Students should stay awake and keep belongings close to them.
7. Grab it. Close it. Lock it.: College parking lots and structures are common targets for thieves. Students should never leave valuables in their car in plain sight. Their windows should be up and doors locked.
8. Keep personal information private: Students avoid becoming a victim of identity theft by carrying only necessary items in a wallet and purse.
9. Keep your residence locked: Students do not prop doors open or loan keys or cards to anyone.
10. Always carry identification and emergency contact information: Students, carry an emergency notification card. Program emergency notification numbers in phone.