We are a Congregation
creating a better world by nurturing the heart and expanding the mind.
We provide a safe, caring community where all can freely explore diverse religious thought.
We work for justice and equality with the power of compassion and compassionate power.
If you would like to receive our monthly newsletter
Let your joy be in your journey - not in some distant goal.
It's August, and I am excited to begin our time together as your Interim Minister! As I have gotten older and wiser, my main goal in life has been to cultivate joy in my personal life and in my ministry. I tell you this because we have a lot of hard work to do together over the next two years, but first and foremost I want to take the time to get to know you, breathe, and have some fun. I welcome drop-in visits during office hours and look forward to hearing about your joys, concerns, and hopes for the future of UUCGT.
My office hours will be Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday 10:00 - 1:00, but I will be available to meet by appointment at other times. Friday is my study day, and Saturday will be devoted to Sunday service prep. Mondays are my day off: no emails, phone calls, or meetings except in an emergency. Having said that, please know that I want you to feel comfortable reaching out to me in times of need, day or night. My cell number is 231-301-3177 and you may call or text me.
I am aware that the Film Festival may keep some of you from being in church this Sunday but rest assured that I am saving my "greatest hits" for after Labor Day. In this Sunday's sermon, I will share some of what I learned at this year's General Assembly in Spokane, Washington. The theme of GA this year was "The Power of We", and its purpose was to bring into focus voices of people of color in our UU movement. It was a powerful experience that highlighted some important steps toward wholeness that are essential to our common goal of achieving a true beloved community in our congregations, our cities, and in our nation.
See you in church!
Sunday, August 4 - Rev. Cathy Harrington
"The Power of We"
What does this theme for the UUA 2019 General Assembly mean to us? How do we live our values on a larger scale, and join with other UU congregations to live into the aspirational vision of a just world?
Children & Youth
Nursery care for infants through age 4 is available.
During our Summer RE Program for PreK-5th grade and Youth (5th-8th grade), c
hildren are asked to come directly to the RE classroom when they arrive. We
will be outside as much as possible!
This week the children will practice mindfulness by noticing their thoughts and bodies as they send friendly wishes to those around them. The children will then create "Friendly Wishes" flags which will be hung outside to send these friendly wishes out into the world.
Please join us for a
celebration of life in honor of
one of UUCGT's founding members
Saturday, August 10
OUR WHOLE LIVES (OWL)
Holistic Lifespan Sexuality Education
7th - 9th grade students
Informational Parent Meetings
Sunday, August 11 at 11:45 am
Sunday, September 8 at 4:30 pm
The RE program will be running Our Whole Lives for 7th through 9th grade students in the upcoming school year.
This program is open to all students in the community. If you know of anyone who may be interested, please pick up a brochure or flier from the RE classroom to pass on. Look for OWL articles in the Record Eagle and Northern Express!
UUCGT Bulletin Board
Thank you for your consistently generous contributions to the "those in need" side of the basket this year!
Your donations assisted:
- Kalkaska Area Interfaith Resources for families whose homes burned
- Child & Family Services - summer camps, back to school haircuts
- Commission on Aging - fans for seniors
- Justice for Our Neighbors - legal support for migrant families
- Jubilee House - bus passes and warm boots
- Helplink/Laundry Project for families who use laundromats
- Reining Liberty Ranch - horseback riding/farm activities for at risk and disabled youth
- The Dream Team - summer baseball for kids
We are now looking for "Fill the Gap" efforts not
covered by area agencies
Social Justice Action Team Meeting
Sunday, August 4 @ 11:45 AM
Update on assisting people caught up in our current immigration crisis
Everyone is invited to attend
Links to additional sites regarding immigration reform
UUCGT Social Justice Action Team
Emmy Lou Cholak, co-chair
UUCGT Calendar of Events
Peacemaker Needleworkers: Thursdays, 1:30pm, social hall
- Social Justice Team: Sunday, August 4, 11:45am, sanctuary
- RE Committee: Sunday, August 4, 12:00 noon, classroom
- Landscape Team & Volunteers: Sundays after service (weather permitting) - Join us in building our Meandering Pathway! 30 minutes of your time can translate into a lifetime journey for a future someone.
- Mindfulness Meditation: Sunday, August 4 - 1st Sunday, 2:30-6:30pm, sanctuary - see www.tcmmg.org for more information
- Indivisible Core meeting:
Monday, August 5, 8:30am, library
Stretch & Strengthen: Monday & Wednesday @ 11:00a.m.
Everyone is Welcome!
SokukoJi Buddhist Community Meditation:
Tuesday, August 6, 6:30 - 8:30pm, meditation room. See
for more information
Staff Resources: Wednesday, August 7, 2:00pm, library
Wednesday Summer Potluck:
August 7, 5:30pm @ John Hoffmann's
Bring a dish, table setting, BYOB - Enjoy a relaxing evening!
- Shantideva Fan Club: Thursday, August 8, 9:30am, sanctuary
- Community Needs: Friday, August 9, 10:00am, library
- Facilities Team: Friday, August 9, 10:00am, social hall
Celebration of Life:
Saturday, August 10, 11:00am, sanctuary
- Program Council: Sunday, August 11, 9:00am, social hall
- OWL Parent Information meeting: Sunday, August 11, 12:30pm, sanctuary
The first of August was known in many cultures
as a festival of "First Fruits"
- a time to celebrate the rich, generous bounty of the Earth,
ounting our blessings and g
"All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today."
UUCGT office hours
day - Thursday
9:00 am - 3:00 pm