How to Manage UI Cost Effectively
Q & A 
Edition 8

July 9, 2014

What records do I need to verify my tax rate?

Depending on the State, you need at least the last year, and generally, the last three years of Unemployment Insurance taxable payroll, along with benefit charges for a similar time period.  Also, having the prior year's rate notice handy is helpful.

Are there different time periods used in calculating the "experience" of my assigned rate?

Yes - most States with a January 1 effective date use July 1 to June 30 of the prior year, but a few use October 1 to September 30 and even January 1 to December 31.  There are also four States that implement new rates at mid- year (July 1), and they use prior calendar year payroll and benefit charges to drive their calculations.


After verifying my rate, if I disagree with the numbers used by the State in the rate calculations, what are my options?


You should notify the State agency immediately.  All rate notices come with time limits to protest your rate if you disagree with the State's calculations.  Be sure you note that time limit upon receipt of your rate so you can allow sufficient time to review and protest if necessary. 


Us4U has the state of the art tools you need to manage your Unemployment Insurance tax rate!  We offer a tax module that will allow you to complete tax verification and projections with just a few clicks.  


We are here to help you!

Contact us today at 800.928.5750 Ext. 4 

for more information 

Be sure to add to your address book or safe senders list so our email can get to your inbox.

This email was sent from a notification-only email address that cannot accept incoming email. 


      Like us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter