From polio to poverty to war and through recession, citizens of Catawba County have known their share of crisis.
No matter the issue though, for more than seven decades there has been a source of hope for those in need, the Catawba County United Way (CCUW).
In 1944, the spark of the CCUW began as the Hickory Community Chest and War Fund. The first programs the agency supported were The Salvation Army, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Public Playgrounds, the Civilian Defense Fund and Catawba County Health Camp.
Then, in 1954, the name would change to Greater Hickory United Fund and in 1958 the Eastern Catawba County United Fund would be created.
In 1985, the two agencies merged into today’s Catawba County United Way.
The CCUW eventually evolved to focus on three community impact areas: Health, Education and Income which led to partnerships with dozens of local non-profit and not-for-profit agencies.