November 2021
Return of "Genome: Unlocking Life's Code" Exhibit to the Smithsonian and New Look for the Supporting Website
We are pleased to announce that the extremely popular "Genome: Unlocking Life’s Code" exhibition has returned to the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History (NMNH) after a seven year tour across North America. A collaboration between NMNH and the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), this high-tech, interactive exhibition allows visitors to explore the complexities of the human genome and the history of genomics research. The exhibition incorporates video, 3D models and interactive quizzes to create a high-tech, immersive experience for visitors. To celebrate and support the exhibit’s NMNH return, we have redesigned the "Genome: Unlocking Life’s Code" website! The new look is vibrant and modern. The new user interface allows for access to the resources we’ve created for the classroom much more quickly and efficiently. Search the site using key words, catch up on anything you’ve missed in our newsletters, and stay up on the latest in science communication from the next generation of scientists in our Genomics: Insights section.

DNA Beyond the Gene - A New Interactive for Classrooms from "Genome: Unlocking Life's Code"
Did you know that only about 2% of the human genome codes for proteins? Ever wonder what the other 98% of our genome does? Today, in light of global research efforts, this part of our genome is now recognized to have a variety of functions including the regulation of when and where certain genes should be turned “on” or “off.” As we learn more about the genome, we are beginning to understand how it impacts human health and disease. In the new interactive “DNA Beyond the Gene,” students can explore the various functions of our DNA and learn about a growing field in genomics research. Take a moment to scroll through and share this new interactive with your students!

Postdoctoral Fellowship in Genomic Science and Health Equity: Now Accepting Applications
The Genomic Science and Health Equity Postdoctoral Fellowship, cosponsored by the National Institutes of Health, National Human Genome Research Institute, and the Food and Drug Administration, Office of Minority Health and Health Equity, is currently accepting applications on a rolling basis. The fellowship prepares postdoctoral fellows to use genetic, genomic and pharmacogenomic approaches to advance minority health and health equity and trains them in the research methodology and medical product development processes that facilitate the delivery of drugs, biologics, and devices from the bench to the bedside. Fellows are required to pursue genomics-related research that integrates health equity and addresses delivery of new technology in clinical spaces. Applicants must meet certain requirements to be eligible.

Lesson Plans Focused on Genomics from the Personal Genetics Education Project
The Personal Genetics Education Project (pgEd) has created several lesson plans for high school and college educators to engage students in discussions of ethics and personal genetics. The lesson plans can stand alone or be taught as a unit. Lessons focus on some of the most talked about areas of genetics/genomics including personal and consumer genetics, ancestry, and technology. Lesson plans, slideshows, modules, quizzes, and recordings are all freely accessible. Take advantage of these free resources for the classroom now!

This month's featured article in
Genomics: Insights

Author: Nitya Devisetti

Give Us Feedback
We would like to hear from you! Share feedback or ideas.