The report identifies gaps in pain management and offers the following recommendations for improving best practices:
- Individualized, patient-centered care
- Multidisciplinary approaches using one or more modalities
- Consideration given to special patient populations and comorbidity
- Recommendations to insurers to align reimbursement guidelines for non-opioid pharmacologic therapies with current clinical practice guidelines.
The report's recommendations encompass the five following treatment approaches to pain management:
- Restorative Therapies
- Interventional Procedures
- Behavioral Health Approaches
- Complementary and Integrative Health
This document paints a path forward to address pain with a multidisciplinary strategy utilizing non-pharmacologic approaches..."
-Sharad Kohli, MD, IHPC Policy Committee Co-Chair