March 11, 2020
We have been closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation with conversations with the Fairfax County Health Department, our school nurse, and others who have kept us informed of important facts as they become available.
Given the facts we have learned, and given the importance of our Parent Partnership, we will proceed with Parent/Teacher-Mentor conferences tomorrow and Friday.
We have taken the following steps to do everything we can to provide a healthy environment:
- Our cleaning company is disinfecting all surface areas, paying special attention to touch points such as student and staculty desks, dining hall tables, door handles, keyboards, phones, etc.
- We will post signs recommending limiting physical contact, such as shaking hands.
- We will have hand sanitizer available in the lobby and around the building.
- We will set up chairs so that everyone can keep a healthy distance from one another.
We are confident that with these prudent measures, we can proceed with Parent/Teacher/Mentor conferences with order and serenity. However, if you are uncomfortable conducting your conferences in person at this time, feel free to contact
We have given the same message to teachers, and you will be contacted by any teacher who would prefer not to come in for conferences to reschedule.
At this time, our plan is to resume classes on Monday, March 16 and proceed with Spirit Week as explained in Meghan Hadley’s
this morning with one update (see below). We will take the following measures out of an abundance of caution and to reduce the spread of illness:
- The International Lunch scheduled for Monday March 16 is cancelled.
- We will be following a normal school schedule that day and students are encouraged to dress in their national folkloric costume, wearing the colors of their national flag or showing pride in their family heritage in other creative ways.
Starting Monday, March 16 we are eliminating the salad bar from our hot lunch program. Instead, baby carrots will be placed on each plate by a server. As always, our hot lunch will be distributed by our designated servers wearing protective gloves. We ask that students not share food with one another.
The St. Joseph’s day celebration on March 19 will be focused on a beautiful holy Mass, giving thanks to St. Joseph for many favors granted through his intercession. We will have the St. Joseph’s table with a prayerful thanksgiving for St. Joseph’s constant intercession. We will have pre-wrapped cookies that Fr. Marty will bless for our students rather than open food.
As of now, the Humanities Lecture on Saturday, March 14 and our Annual Gala on April 4 will proceed as scheduled. We will keep you informed in a timely manner of any updates. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate this adventure together.