Information now available on how over-the-counter Covid tests are covered or reimbursed
Please read below for a better understanding of how this is handled.
NOTE: We have sent the information covered here to members of Brethren Medical Plan to let them know about this benefit.
Highmark will reimburse the cost of
FDA-approved COVID tests
Members of the Brethren Medical Plan can be reimbursed for the cost up to $12 per test of over-the-counter COVID tests. By making this available to members of the Brethren Medical Plan, Highmark is complying with Federal guidelines. To receive reimbursement, members must submit a claim form through the mail or online. For instructions on how to do this and for any exclusions that may apply click here.
Up to 8 tests
Members can be reimbursed for up to eight OTC COVID tests per month. This coverage began on Jan. 15, 2022.
Access without upfront cost
Members can access OTC COVID-19 antigen tests directly from the Highmark preferred pharmacy network without any upfront cost, eliminating the need for reimbursement. Here is a list of the OTC COVID-19 antigen tests approved for emergency use by the FDA and covered by Highmark:
- Inteliswab COVID-19 Home Test
- Binaxnow COVID-19 AG Home Test
- Quickvue At-Home COVID-19 Test
- Ellume COVID-19 Home Test
- iHealth COVID-19 AG Home Test
- Flowflex COVID-19 AG Home Test
Mail-order and other retailers
Members can also buy OTC COVID-19 tests through mail-order, using their pharmacy coverage. Further, they will still have the ability to obtain tests from retailers outside the preferred pharmacy network but will need to submit reimbursement claims to Highmark under their pharmacy coverage only.
How members can get a test without out-of-pocket costs
- Visit the pharmacy where you get your prescriptions or any in-network pharmacy (To find in-network pharmacies, visit the Highmark member website or call the number on the back of your card).
- Look for a test that is on the above list.
- Show your Highmark insurance card at the checkout with no out-of-pocket costs.
- You can also pay for the test and submit a claim form for reimbursement.
For those who are on Medicare and have a
Medicare Supplement plan
At this time, Medicare users can go through the government site of Covidtests.gov to obtain free COVID tests. We anticipate that within the next few months, tests will be available for you at pharmacies, where you will use your Medicare information. We will keep you posted on this.