"Have you or somebody you know been experiencing symptoms associated with schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, Bipolar Disorder, or Major Depressive disorder, and are interested in the arts? If so, you might be eligible to participate in a virtual study at UMass Medical School.
"This study will use the Zentangle Method which is based on drawing simple patterns, as a mindfulness-based form of art therapy.
"The study will investigate whether Zentangle can improve symptoms and daily functioning for individuals who have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, or major depressive disorder. The project will occur over the course of 14 weeks via video chat. It will involve 8 weekly Zentangle classes (about 90 minutes each) and the completion of assessments.
"To qualify for the study, you must:
- Be between 18-40 years old
- Be English speaking
- Be located in Massachusetts or an adjacent state (New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Vermont)
- Have a diagnosis of Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective disorder, Bipolar disorder, or Major Depressive disorder
- Have no psychiatric hospitalizations within the past year
- Not be pregnant/do not expect to become pregnant
- Have no history of violence or suicide attempts within the past year
- Have no substance use disorders (excluding caffeine or tobacco-related disorders)