Ft. Myers Metro-McGregor Kiwanis
PO Box 61104
Ft. Myers, FL 33906
(814) 573-1251 Club President
After careful consideration for the health and safety of our members, guests and volunteers, and taking advice from Kiwanis International and local officials, our weekly Face-to Face meetings and activities into April are suspended. Weekly updates will be sent
via E-Newsletters and by email. Each week in the newsletter we will feature an SLP (Service Leadership Program) so please take the time to learn more and stay engaged. Weekly meetings will be held online using a platform called Zoom. Details can be found below.
Here is a recap of the online meeting from this past Tuesday from President-Elect Cathy Smith.
- Seven members were able to join our Zoom Kiwanis meeting on Tuesday. Thank you Harris for setting it up.
- Cathy Smith led the discussions which included plans to support the Ronald McDonald House with gift cards if we are unable to prepare in-house meals as scheduled for May, June, July, and August. Board will confirm next Tuesday.
- Additional topics discussed were the fact that we may not be able to offer our dining books for sale right now due to the corona virus causing the closing of restaurants. It was noted that we may be able to support some of the establishments by ordering take-out meals.
- Members can still support the March of Dimes on-line with their virtual walk fundraiser scheduled for April 25th. Team Toomey can be accessed on our Metro McGregor Facebook account.
- Kim has a list of senior centers that can receive cards from us. This is a project that can be done from home without contact with others and will help them know they are being thought about. See additional information in the service section of this E-Newsletter.
- We will continue to meet on-line Tuesdays at 11:45 on Zoom. Watch your email for contact information from Harris.
- Continue to call and check on each other, especially those that accessing web or email.
- Tuesday, April 9, at 6 PM, will be the monthly board meeting on Zoom.
We understand our work as Kiwanians is valuable to our community and we will take extra proactive measures to ensure the safety of everyone yet help meet the needs of our community.
Play it smart, stay informed, stay home, promote peace over panic and keep washing your hands.
The county encourages everyone to read the resources offered by:
For those that want to join the online meetings:
Zoom is a reputable and safe online program. It is endorsed by businesses and organizations such as Kiwanis International. You can use your computer or mobile device.
Joining a Meeting
First you need to download the Zoom app on your computer or mobile phone. Do this in advance of the meeting next Tuesday.
Steve Hess said he is willing to help talk you through it, just give him a ring.
Once you have the app, look for and emial from Harris that will be an invitation to join the meeting online. It will have a meeting ID code. Go to the Zoom app, login at the top "Join Meeting" . Enter the meeting ID code.
How do I join computer/device audio?
On most devices, you can join computer/device audio by clicking Join Audio, Join with Computer Audio, or Audio to access the audio settings.
Learn more about connecting your audio.
Do I have to have a webcam to join on Zoom?
While you are not required to have a webcam to join a Zoom Meeting or Webinar, you will not be able to transmit video of yourself. You will continue to be able to listen and speak during the meeting, share your screen, and view the webcam video of other participants.
Dining book fundraiser; We will be updated on how this plays out with the restaurants in the book. Thank you for your patience.
9th Tommy Lester
11th Lisa Rizzio
22nd Linda Petrik
29th Rachel Toomey
From the United Way Volunteer Center: we closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation. We understand there are many individuals in our community that may want to help. We will post here https://www.unitedwaylee.org/volunteer/ and in our Volunteer Center Facebook Group
Do you have a sewing machine? One of the greatest needs is for Facemasks. Email Kim if you need more details or refer to the email that was sent to all club members 4/1/20.
(Stewart Ross) weekly
at Orangewood Elementary on Wednesdays 9:30am-10:10am. Please let Stewart know if you can help. Four volunteers are needed each week. SUSPENDED
MS Support Group-
meets 3rd Thursday of each month at St. Hilary Episcopal Church.
Last book is due to the children April 17th. DELAY THAT BOOK
Literacy Buddies are asked not to send or hand-deliver books to pre-schools until the week of April 13th. Watch for update.
SLP's (Service Leadership Programs) SUSPENDED - Schools closed until May 1.
-(Karen Hurst) at LARC. They meet 2nd Tuesday at 8:30am, year-round.
(Agency closed through April 14th).
CKI Club- at FGCU. (Stewart Ross).
Key Club-(Harris Segel) Collegiate High on FSW campus.
Builder's Club-(Barbara Hartman, Todd Adams, Ada Trapanese) Cypress Lake Middle.
K-Kids-(Kim Berghs) Littleton Elementary.
This Week's Virtual Program: Aktion Club
(Aktion club week was March 5-9 this year)
There are more than 500 clubs serving their community.
Our club is so proud to sponsor an Aktion Club!
Aktion Club is the only service club for adults with disabilities, with more than 12,000 members worldwide.
Aktion Clubs draw members from various organizations that support individuals with disabilities, as well as other community programs.
Aktion clubs can also be established at churches, libraries, YMCAs, lodges or similar facilities. A Kiwanis club, composed of like-minded, service-oriented people from the community, serves as the club's sponsor.
Aktion Club is supported at the district level and by the Kiwanis International Office in Indianapolis which provides programs, literature and opportunities to relate to individuals with disabilities from countries worldwide.
Where development has no disability.
To develop competent, capable, caring leaders through the vehicle of service.
To provide adults living with disabilities an opportunity to develop initiative, leadership skills and to serve their communities.
- Character Building: The ability to the right thing, even when it might be the unpopular choice
- Leadership: The ability to listen, communicate, serve and guide others
- Inclusiveness: Accepting and welcoming differences in other people
- Caring: The act of being concerned about or interested in other people or situations
I pledge on my honor to follow the Objects of Aktion Club.
To better my community,my country and myself.
To help those in need.
To demonstrate loyalty to our community and nation.
And to encourage others to do the same
Karen Hurst has taken on the role as lead Aktion Club advisor for our club and provided this update. We co-partner with Fort Myers Edison Kiwanis (representative is Kathy Woolston). Mary Pelo is the LARC staff advisor. LARC stands for Lee Association of Remarkable Citizens. Please take a minute to learn more about this agency
Here is a snapshot of just how service minded this club is!
- Ongoing collections of aluminum can pull tabs for Ronald McDonald House and clean tee shirts for dog pull toys
- Completed collection of plastic caps for Buddy Bench at Beach Elementary as well as one for their campus.
- Made and delivered pet pull toys for Gulf Coast Humane Society
- Manned a booth at fundraising event to give out pet toys
- Created Holiday card for Military Troops overseas boxes and Assisted Living Facility
- Collected personal care items for Homeless Shelter
- Made Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for Salvation Army during summer months
- Collected Socks and flip flops for Homeless Shelter
- Conducted a food drive for Salvation Army and Homeless Shelter
- Conducted a Toy Drive for Salvation Army and Homeless Shelter
- Beautified campus with placing and maintaining two planters and greenery for entrance of LARC
March of Dimes-Meet our local Ambassador Family and club members!
March of Dimes is a program that aligns with our Kiwanis mission and also supported by Kiwanis International. Rachel and Matt's family is the Lee County March of Dimes Ambassador Family for 2020.
Here is how we can support March of Dimes this year:
The March for Babies walk on Saturday, April 25th will now be a virtual walk. More details coming. You can still join the team
2. Donate to Team Toomey
3. The last regular season Everblades Hockey game was going to be April 4th in support of March of Dimes.
(Hockey is cancelled the reminder of the season, consider donating the cost of a ticket to Team Toomey).
will be held online each Tuesday. We will let you know of any changes.
Board meeting April 7 at 6pm online.
Where/when we meet: 11:30am on Tuesdays at Shoeless Joe's in the Crowne Plaza, 13051 Bell Tower Drive, Fort Myers 33907
Face-to-face Weekly meetings cancelled for March and into April.
Delicious Dining Discount Book Fundraiser
Todd Adams, Chair
Youth Protection Helpline
"Kiwanis is a global
organization of volunteers
dedicated to improving the
world, one child and one
community at a time."
Fort Myers Metro-McGregor
President-Elect: Cathy Smith
Treasurer: Todd Adams
Secretary: Kim Berghs
Immediate Past President: Rachel Toomey
Florida Division 19
Lt. Governor -
Governor is Allen Yergovich
Governor-Elect is Mary-Lynn Desjariais.
The Florida District, comprised of the more than 240 clubs and over 7,500 Kiwanians within Florida. Florida is one of the largest and most successful districts in Kiwanis International.
President is Daniel Vignerom
President-Elect is Arthur Riley, Westminster, Maryland.
Children's Advocacy Center of SWFL, Bling & Bags Bingo. 5:30pm
Will Be Rescheduled to June 24th
Egg Hunt at Wa-Ke-Hatchee Rec Center.
April 25th - March of Dimes Walk
going to be a virtual walk
DCM, our club is hosting. 5:45pm at United Way.
to May 19th
May 13- Ronald McDonald House
walk now a
ICON-June 17-20, Indianapolis. Registration is open.
No decision yet
DCON-August 13-16, Orlando. Early bird registration is open.
Our club charter date:
July 23, 1980
Please save year-round...
Your old Kiwanis magazine to recycle in our member recruitment folders.
Aluminum pull tabs for K-Kids for Ronald McDonald House. To Kim during the school year. Cathy in summer.