Task of the Week: Soil Testing
As we prepare our gardens for transition from our fine fall-to-winter growing season to the upcoming (and sometimes more tricky) spring-to-summer growing season, the Garden Committee recommends that you test the pH level of your soil.
VISTA's "Garden Task of the Week" is to gather soil from your garden, which we will deliver to the Hillsborough County Extension Office in Seffner for testing. In the shed, find a "Soil Test" bin with the tools and supplies you need to gather your sample, including these instructions:
- Use a trowel to take soil from the upper six inches in 10 locations throughout your garden.
- Place the soil into the bucket and mix it together.
- Measure out 1 cup of soil and place in a brown paper bag marked with your name.
- Leave the bag open and place carefully in the bin. (We'll take care of drying out each of your soil samples before we submit it for testing.)
- Add four dollar bills atop your soil $ $ $ $
The large soil test bin includes shiny new trowels, new buckets, brown paper bags, and markers - everything you need.
We will remit $3 to Hillsborough County for each soil test - a real bargain. We ask you for a donation of $4. The extra dollar covers our expenses and funds new VISTA trowels and garden forks!