Dear Veterans Memorial Senior Center and YMCA Project Stakeholders,
I wanted to take a moment to provide a brief update on meetings coming up and other project related materials now on the City's project webpage.
As you are aware, the Veterans Memorial Senior Center-YMCA Project is currently in the master planning phase.
The City is working to build a state of the art Veterans Memorial Senior Center offering current and new senior services, including a new YMCA with aquatics facilities.
The City and the Y are working with ELS Architecture and Urban Design to lead this process and host a series of community design meetings.
As previously announced, the first workshop is this
Wednesday, January 17 from 6-8 p.m. at the Veterans Memorial Senior Center in the Redwood Room. Come anytime between 6-8 p.m. as there will not be a formal presentation. Instead, there will be an "Open House" style with informational boards throughout the room to learn about the proposed project principles and goals, current and new programming offered and the City and YMCA partnership. An interactive area to leave comments, input and ask questions will also be offered.
Other workshops and community engagement are planned through May.
Before design approval at the City Council there will be many opportunities for community members to attend public meetings to share their thoughts and provide feedback. The initial workshops in January and February will be an opportunity to offer input on the latest iteration of the master plan, and will inform the design process. Following the January 17th workshop, two more workshops are planned:
- Workshop #2: January 31 from 6-8 p.m. (conceptual master plan alternatives)
- Workshop #3: February 22 from 6-8 p.m. (preferred conceptual master plan)
*The above meetings will be held at the Veterans Memorial Senior Center
Following the community engagement workshops the City is tentatively planning other public review opportunities:
- Potential review of a proposed conceptual design at the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Commission in early Spring
- Discussions with the Senior Affairs Commission and the Historic Resources Advisory Committee
- A City Council meeting in March 2018 to review a proposed conceptual design
- A City Council meeting in May 2018 to review and consider a proposed schematic design
Looking for workshop materials? The project webpage will provide project information and will always be updated. Some of the January 17 workshop materials are already posted.
I hope to see you on Wednesday!
Redwood City Parks, Recreation and Community Services