Re: Vice Provost and Dean for Graduate Education
To: All employees
June 29, 2022
Following a nationwide search, I am pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Hrant Hratchian as the next Vice Provost and Dean for Graduate Education.
Dr. Hratchian is currently Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry here at UC Merced. Prior to joining UC Merced in 2013, Dr. Hratchian worked as a Research Scientist with Gaussian, Inc. Since joining UC Merced, Dr. Hratchian has served in a number of leadership roles at UC Merced, including as Interim co-Director of Cyberinfrastructure and Research Computing and as Chair of the Academic Senate’s Graduate Council. He first served for two years as Vice Chair (2017-2019) and one year as Chair (2019-2020). As Graduate Council Chair, he also served on the Senate’s Divisional Council and was UC Merced’s representative on the UC systemwide Coordinating Committee on Graduate Affairs. In recent years, Dr. Hratchian has been honored with a Hellman Foundation Fellowship and an NSF Career award.
Dr. Hratchian earned his B.S. degree in chemistry from Eastern Michigan University and completed his Ph.D. in chemistry at Wayne State University.
I would like to thank everyone who took time out of their schedules to meet with each of the candidates for the Vice Provost and Dean for Graduate Education. A special thanks to the search committee, which included:
- Marjorie Zatz, Interim Vice Chancellor, Office of Research and Economic Development (Chair)
- Ryan Bart, Assistant Project Scientist, Office of Research and Economic Development (Non-Senate Faculty Representative)
- Mehmet Baykara, Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering (Academic Senate, CoR Representative)
- Jesus Cisneros, Assistant Dean, Graduate Division (Graduate Division Staff Representative)
- Erin Hestir, Associate Professor, Environmental Engineering (Academic Senate, Graduate Council)
- Roummel Marcia, Graduate Chair, Applied Mathematics (Graduate Group Chairs Representative)
- Jackie Shay, Associate Director, Center for Engaged Teaching and Learning (Staff Assembly Representative)
I would also like to take a moment to thank Chris Kello, Interim Vice Provost and Dean for Graduate Education, for his service in the role. His contributions to the role and the university have been invaluable.
Please join me in congratulating Dr. Hratchian on his new role with UC Merced. Dr. Hratchian will officially begin his duties on July 19, 2022.
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost