In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are excited to bring to you a complete virtual, interactive training. The format is flexible, interactive, and will provide content that you will not want to miss. This six-week online course is designed for teachers and other certified school personnel who serve students with autism and other developmental disabilities. Upon completion participants will have practical information regarding how ASD affects classroom performance and what to do to provide better services.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
1. Describe the core characteristics of autism.
2. Identify evidence-based practices.
3. Develop a quality classroom for students with autism.
4. Address challenging behavior through preventative strategies and supports.
5. Describe the experiences of both an individual with autism and parents of children with autism.
6. Describe the importance of their role as a team member.
7. Identify strategies to motivate change to improve outcomes for the students with autism they serve.
- Autism: What we know
- Characteristics of autism
- Identification of autism
- The power of teaming
- Inclusive practices
- Classroom strategies for supporting students with ASD
- Enhancing students’ communication and social interactions
- Social emotional supports
- Understanding and de-escalating behavior
- Parent and self-advocate perspectives
- Motivating change
The six-week course will include three types of activities: required live meetings, recorded content, and supplementary activities. The live meetings will occur over Zoom. The link for the meeting will be emailed each week. On the average, participants will need to dedicate approximately 2 hours per week. Our intent is to keep the activities as flexible as possible to better meet the needs of participants during these unprecedented times.
Participants will attend and interact during weekly live meetings. The exact time and date of the live meeting will be determined based on majority needs of the group. The meetings will last between 45 and 60 minutes.
Each week participants are required to watch recorded content on the topics listed above. The recorded content will be 30-45 minutes long. Participants will be assigned 1-2 recordings per week to watch prior to the live meeting.
Participants will receive supplementary videos and resources ad additional supports for the course content.
No charge, but space is limited.
*** There will be a $50.00 fee charged for any participants who cancels after September 7, 2020 or who does not participate in the first live meeting without communicating to us.
This course is sponsored by the Oklahoma Department of Education, Special Education Services.
Due to limited space:
- Pre-registration is required
- Registrations will be taken on a first come/first serve basis.
Reserved for certified school personnel only