Hello, library friends --
January is always planning time here at the library: The library board discusses our annual goals, we start thinking about activities for our summer reading program, and we share ideas for trying new things that provide useful service to the Mercer community.
As part of that process, we've found a few places where we could use some extra help. If you've ever thought about volunteering with the library, here are a few ideas you might consider:
- "Grown-Up Story Hour" readers needed - We'd like to try a new event series offering evenings of read-aloud short stories for adults, perhaps in conjunction with area taverns. We need volunteers who would like to help select and read stories (5-10 minute stories or excerpts) for these evening programs.
- After-school tutors - There's been some interest in after-school tutoring for middle- or high-school students here at the library. We'd love to hear from any adults interested in volunteering as tutors for math, writing, or other subjects.
- "Armchair travel" program presenters - Would you like to share photos and stories from your travels? We're considering a series of "armchair travel" events this winter and need presenters. We would assist you as much as you need with preparing a presentation, which can be as formal or informal as you like.
- Photography class or interest group - We've had a few requests for photography classes OR for people to participate in a photography group. If you have some photography skills that you'd like to share or you would just be interested in getting together with other area photographers, let us know!
- Friends of the Library record-keeping - We need an extra volunteer for record-keeping with the Friends of the Library. The ideal volunteer would be comfortable with Microsoft Word and Excel and be willing to learn more about using spreadsheets and mail merge. We will provide training!
- ONE-TIME VOLUNTEER NEEDED THIS WEEK: I need one extra volunteer to 'babysit' our video recorder during the next Mercer Memories program on Friday, January 25th at 1:00 p.m. No experience needed!
Next week we'll be sending our regular monthly newsletter with a schedule of events and other library news, so keep an eye on your inbox. And thanks, as always, for your support of our library. We appreciate it!