November 2, 2020
Dear WHWS Families,
With COVID-19 cases increasing in the county, teachers and parents have asked for more clarification regarding our mask protocol. In making adjustments to our mask protocol, the Health and Safety Committee worked closely with the County Health Department, the Board of Trustees, the Pedagogical Committee and local health care providers. The updated Mask Protocol is below.
Also, last Friday all of our heating systems were serviced and adjusted to improve the air quality in the classrooms. The furnace intakes are now wide open, which reduces the amount of recirculated air. All furnaces have MERV 13 filters, and the fans will run constantly from 7:30 am to 3:00 pm Monday through Thursday. As a second safety improvement, we expect to have HEPA filters with UV lights in all the classrooms by the end of the week. Being able to lock exterior doors again is an additional benefit to having filtered air. We are glad to have this security measure back in place.
We continually monitor our Health and Safety practices to provide a healthy environment for students and staff. As always, please contact us with any questions or ideas.
Kathy Payne, Administrative Director
WHWS Mask Protocols
We realize there will continue to be questions as time goes on. Please contact the Health and Safety Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Masks must be worn:
- Inside buildings, by all who are able must wear appropriate face masks, with exceptions for eating, drinking and hygiene.
- Outdoors during any activity where students are in movement and/or coming within 6 feet of each other (even briefly).
Masks can be removed:
- During scheduled or teacher sanctioned activities where individuals are physically distanced and outside
- When eating or drinking
- During requested masks breaks
Approved Face Masks
- Must be multi layered cloth or disposable
- Cover the mouth and nose
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with ties or ear loops
- Include multiple layers of fabric
- Allow for breathing without restriction
- Must comply with the Waldorf dress code.
Proper Mask Sanitation:
- Wear a clean mask each day of school.
- Cloth masks must be machine washable without damage or change to shape.
- Disposable masks must be thrown away at the end of the day.
- Wet masks are ineffective and therefore must be replaced right away.
- Wash hands or use hand sanitizer after putting a mask on
- Avoid touching face if a mask is removed.
- Discard masks that no longer cover the nose and mouth, no longer fit snugly on the face or have holes or tears in the fabric.
Unacceptable and Ineffective items:
- Neck gaiters
- Masks with exhalation valves or vents
- Face shields
Exceptions to the Mask Protocol may be made for the Early Childhood program, First Grade and individuals with special needs or medical conditions.