October 2016 Updates
HOPELINE-24/7 Textline for Help
HOPELINE, by the Center for Suicide Awareness, is a text-in (versus voice call-in) free service for help and hope. HOPELINE is the Emotional Support Text Line in the State of Wisconsin and provides service throughout the entire state.
HOPELINE's purpose is to offer emotional support and resources before situations rise to crisis level. Texts received reflect struggles with breakups, job loss, bullying, LGBTQ issues, parental issues, school, friends, relationship issues or any struggle a person is experiencing.
Here's how it works:
- HOPELINE Text Line serves anyone in any type of situation, providing them access to free, 24/7 emotional support and information they need via the medium they already use and trust: text.
- Someone texts into HOPELINE --- 741741 --- anywhere, anytime, about any type of challenge or struggle.
- A live, trained specialist receives the text and responds quickly.
Marijuana in Wisconsin 2016 Report
This report was created by the Wisconsin State Council on Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse (SCAODA), Prevention Committee, Marijuana Ad-hoc Committee. In the past, the SCAODA Prevention Committee has previously published recommendation reports on emerging topics such as, alcohol culture and environment, prescription drug abuse, and the heroin epidemic.
Throughout the research processes of past reports, the consistent theme heard from individuals diagnosed with substance use disorders and professionals who treat them, was that they did not start with heroin or prescription drugs. The answer was more times than not marijuana and/or alcohol.
Topics Covered in Report:
- Cannabinoid Research on Medical Marijuana
- Legalities and Regulations-Current Marijuana Laws- Explanation of Prohibition, Legalization and Decriminalization
- Preventing Teen Marijuana Use
- Effective Treatment & Recovery
- 19 Recommendations for Research, Regulations, Prevention and Treatment
This is America on Drugs: A visual guide
In modern history, few things have caused such a sharp spike in US deaths as drug overdoses.
CNN reached out to every state for the latest statistics on drug deaths, with half providing data from 2015. It found that drugs deaths continue to rise rapidly in many states.
See More Visuals & Videos
WISH Center Workshops
PREPaRE Crisis Prevention and Preparedness: Comprehensive School Safety Planning (Open to all school and community partners)
Workshop 1: Focus on Crisis Planning
- March 22, 2017, Janesville School District (Open to All)
Workshop 2: Focus on Crisis Intervention/Recovery*
Readiness and Emergency Management for K-12 Schools
- December 15, 2016 & February 6, 2017, CESA #4, West Salem
- January 6 & February 6, 2017, CESA #1, Pewaukee
- January 17 & March 7, 2017, Liberty Hall, Kimberly
- February 9 & March 16, 2017, CESA #11, Turtle Lake
Mindfulness Practices for Teachers and Students
Wellness and Mindfulness as School Based Interventions
- March 9, 2017, CESA #12, Ashland
Continuing the Practice of Educating Mindfully: Resiliency for Educators
- January 27, 2017, CESA #9, Tomahawk
- March 16, 2017, CESA #6, Oshkosh
Resilience Strategies for Educators
Using Restorative Practices and Circles in a School Setting
Helping Students Through Trauma & Loss
- November 9, 2016, CESA #7, Green Bay
- November 21, 2016, CESA #4, West Salem
- February 15, 2017, CESA #8, Gillett
- March 3, 2017, CESA #2, Whitewater
- June 22-23, 2017, CESA #9, Tomahawk, (2 Day Course)*
Keeping Kids Safe: Internet Safety & Emerging Drug Trends
Alcohol and Other Drug Basics Online Course*
Active Schools Core 4+ Training
- October 26, 2016, CESA #10, Chippewa Falls
- October 28, 2016, CESA #11, Turtle Lake
- November 7, 2016, CESA #8, Gillett
- November 21, 2016, CESA #7, Green Bay
- February 8, 2017, CESA #5, Portage
Honest, Open, Proud Facilitator Training (Mental Health)
- November 29, 2016, CESA #6, Oshkosh
- November 30, 2016, CESA #12, Ashland
- January 17, 2017, CESA #9, Tomahawk
- February 15, 2017, CESA #5, Portage
- February 28, 2017, CESA #3, Fennimore
- March 3, 2017, CESA #7, Green Bay
- March 23, 2017, Rogers Memorial-Brown Deer
- April 11, 2017, CESA #10, Chippewa Falls
Just In Time: Strategies to Support Resiliency and Address Trauma Among Youth
- January 13, 2017, Metropolis, Eau Claire
- February 16, 2017, Rogers Memorial-Brown Deer
- March 15, 2017, CESA #9, Tomahawk
- TBD, 2017, CESA #2, Whitewater
My Sexual Health: My Future
- November 18, 2016, CESA #7, Green Bay
- December 14, 2016, CESA #6, Oshkosh
- December 16, CESA #9, Tomahawk
- February 8, 2017, CESA #10, Chippewa Falls
- February 16, 2017, CESA #11, Turtle Lake
*Graduate Credit Available for a fee through Viterbo University
All events are contingent on a minimum of participants. We are working on flyers and registration for some events. Please forward to a friend.
Wisconsin Safe & Healthy Schools Center | 608-786-4838 | www.wishschools.org