Attendance Policy Updates
Important Attendance Reminders and Updates:
All families should have received their campus’ Beginning of Year Truancy Letter, via Bright Arrow. We felt that it was important to follow up with additional information.
In addition to the Compulsory Attendance Law that was addressed in the letter, there is also the 90% law; state law mandates that a student is in attendance at least 90 percent of the academic year.
In order to receive credit for a final grade in a class, a student is required to attend 90% of the days a class is offered, regardless of whether the student’s absences are excused or unexcused.
All absences count towards the 90% law and Truancy, except for the following absences with the proper documentation:
- Religious Holidays with written request prior to the absence
- Attending a required court appearance
- UIL eligible absences- Educational Competition administered by school staff
Academic, Athletic, and music contests (uiltexas.org)
- Medical-Related absences, when the student attended a portion of the school day and presents documentation from the health care professional for the same day
- All day Medical-Related absences do NOT exempt a student from the 90% law or Truancy. Medical Documentation for a full day absence is only used in consideration by the Attendance Committee)
- Sounding “Taps” at a military honors funeral held in Texas
Attendance notes for an absence must be submitted to your student’s campus no later than 5 school days after the absence. Notes will NOT be accepted after the 5th day, and your student’s attendance will not be changed.
Absence notification timeline, all absences are counted, (excused and unexcused):
- A letter will be sent home if your student is absent 3 times in a 4 week period
- Another letter will be sent home once the student has accrued 6 absences
- Intervention will begin with the campus attendance committee
- A 10 day letter will be sent home once the student accrues 10 absences
- Your student can be referred to Truancy Court
Although we know that students will get sick or other challenges may arise during the school year, consistent and timely school attendance is of the utmost importance. We all share the goal of enabling the students to reach their full potential and achieve all of their educational goals. The way to allow a student to reach their full potential and educational goals starts with consistent and timely attendance.
The PowerSchool app is available in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. You use the same PowerSchool online login. Enter the District code NJBC.