Dear Parents, Guardians and Friends of WUSD,
We have had an amazing first week of school. We have surpassed our expected growth in enrollment across the district and welcome our newly enrolled 150+ students to the Washington Unified School District Family! Our District is intensely focused on preparing all students for college and career readiness and becoming the next generation of leaders in our community. You will also notice a sense of urgency and excitement across the school district as we deepen our commitment and efforts in fulfilling our mission statement and truly becoming the gateway to extraordinary possibilities.
We have accomplished so much these past two years: District wide communications, new curriculum and resources for our students to meet and exceed standards, alternative and choice programs, new leadership with vision and passion leading our schools, visual and performing arts beginning in Kindergarten feeding into the high schools, and stronger partnerships with our parents, city and county. We are a district on the move and everyone is taking notice of the amazing transformation of WUSD!
For the 2017-2018 school year, we will be focused on five (5) areas to ensure our students receive an exemplary education in our District.
- College and Career Readiness is our primary goal. We are strengthening our systems to support student access to AVID, MESA, VAPA, AP courses and exams, a-g courses, foreign languages and language development to name a few. Our CTE pathways continue to work towards high-need industries so that our students can meaningfully apply their learning.
- Educational Opportunities will be expanded this year to support our students. Our new Washington Middle College High School opened its doors this week at the Fallbrook campus. Students will go to high school AND attend community college (for free) at the Sac City Community College – West Sac campus. Students who attend Middle College High School graduate with a high school diploma and community college credit towards an Associate’s Degree. Our Spanish Dual Immersion Program expanded to both 1st grade and Kindergarten at Elkhorn Village Elementary School as our students prepare for their Seal of Biliteracy.
- High Quality Teaching and Learning is the District’s investment in every employee to receive professional development as we continue to grow and improve our work for our students. Teams of teachers and administrators have been working throughout the summer on curriculum design and standards for the entire District. Training is happening across all departments and schools.
- School Safety and creating Positive School Culture continues as a high priority to ensure our schools and facilities are conducive for learning and represent the utmost professionalism and positive culture for students and families.
- Strengthening Parent and Community Partnerships continues to be our commitment through consistent and transparent communication and creating opportunities for our parent community to meaningfully engage and partner with our schools.
Washington Unified is here to serve and support our students and families. We have a lot of work to do, and we will accomplish much more by working together, as one community, here in West Sacramento. Thank you for trusting and working alongside us in providing our students a comprehensive, well-rounded educational program in preparing for a promising future. Welcome Back!
Very truly yours,
Linda C. Luna, Superintendent