APRIL 27,2020
Dear Resident:

I want to thank you all for your patience and support as we work through the COVID-19 pandemic together. While we are all in it together, we must remember that some are in worse condition than others and need more support. This includes our vulnerable citizens - our seniors, those with disabilities or illnesses. If you are able please offer your help to those in your neighbourhood for getting groceries etc.

Our community has stepped up in so many ways. Many thanks to all who have sewn face masks for nursing homes or their neighbours; to the faith organizations who are supporting beyond their own congregations, to those who have made significant donations for medical supplies like the Fo Guang Shan Temple (funds and PPE equipment) and the Meadowvale Minor Hockey Association ($10,000 to Trillium), Nations Foods and more. I am so proud of you all and thank you!!

As you know we have had 11 deaths to date at our Village of Erin Meadows Long Term Care Home. There are 55 positive residents and 23 positive staff also. But there are also 116 who tested negative. Please keep them in your prayers and thoughts. If you want to show your support and caring, they would love to see posters of support and more yellow and blue ribbons on the property. It is located on the southeast corner of Erin Centre Blvd and Winston Churchill.

Watch for a lane on Glen Erin Drive to open soon for cycling..I asked staff to do this so we can open up more space for people to get out and exercise safely as the nicer weather arrives.
As always please visit the websites below for ongoing updates.

We continue to get dumping of garbage in our parks and along roadways. Please do not do this. It is unsightly but more importantly it is unsanitary. I am seeing too many gloves and masks discarded. This is unacceptable!!! Please take your litter home.

Reminder that we have removed the requirement for garbage bag tags and you can leave 2 extra bags of garbage out on your waste collection day with no fee. Fees for garbage and renovation material have also been waived at the Community Recycling Centre.
Council continues to meet weekly and we also meet each week at virtual meetings organized by the Mayors office with various organizations to hear from them on what they are doing and how we can help.

As always you can contact me for assistance on any city or region issue at pat.saito@mississauga,ca, by phone to 905-896-5900 at any time and my staff and I will be pleased to help you. Stay safe and have a Happy Easter and Passover.

COVID-19 Update
Information at Your Fingertips
Important Websites

Important Phone Numbers

Mississauga 3-1-1
Available Mon - Fri 7am - 7pm
Sat - Sun 9am - 6pm
Call 311 to report any non-compliance

Peel Public Health   905-799-7700
Monday - Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm

Peel Regional Police
Non Emergency Line: 905-453-3311

Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-0000  
Toll-free TTY:1-866-797-0007

Important Dates

Every Wednesday
Mississauga City Council Meeting ( click here for livestream)

May 7
Region of Peel Council ( click here for livestream)

May 5
City of Mississauga Teletown Hall
stay tuned for more details
Frequently Asked Questions
Who do I call to report:

  • An open non-essential business: 311
  • A gathering: 311
  • Illegal park usage: 311
  • Litter and dumping: 311
  • Price gouging on necessary goods:
  • Consumer Protection Ontario at 1-800-889-9768 (M-F 8:30am - 3pm)
  • OR file a report online here


I live near a park. Can I use it?

Yes – parks, green space, trails and pathways remain open for walking, cycling or running. However, do not linger, play or use parks as you normally would. You can engage in outdoor activities/exercise close to home.

Mississauga parks have pedestrian access. However, all parking lots are closed to unauthorized vehicles. Please refrain from engaging in any recreational activities in our parking lots. You can still enter the park/trail for activities such as walking, running or biking.
Please stay close to home – you won’t have access to a parking lot at our parks or community centres.

Please follow the spirit of the Provincial Orders, City by-laws and Peel Public Health guidelines and physical distancing.

Can my kids use the playground at the park?

No. The provincial government has ordered all recreational facilities in City parks closed, including playgrounds, adult fitness equipment, sports fields, basketball courts, tracks, etc.. You can continue to walk on paths, trails and other portions of parks that have not otherwise been closed.

Am I allowed to play in an empty Community Centre parking lot (e.g., rollerblade, throw a frisbee)?

No. All City facility parking lots are closed to unauthorized vehicles. These lots include those at community centres, libraries and parks where feasible. They are not to be used as play or hangout areas. Parking lot entrances, where possible, are barricaded. The public is allowed to walk through parking lots to get to park trails and walking paths but playing in them is restricted.
City of Mississauga Officers are patrolling these areas and educating residents on why they can’t park in municipal parking lots. If cars are parked in these lots, City Officers will enforce the Traffic (Parking) By-law and will ticket and tow.
If you are asked to leave a closed park amenity and do not do so when asked, you can be fined for failing to leave the premise under the authority of the Trespass to Property Act.

The garbage bins at the park are full. Is it okay to leave my bagged dog waste beside it for Parks staff to pick up?

No. Leaving dog waste beside a waste bin, on the ground or in a tree is littering with a fine of $365. Pick up your dog waste, bag it and throw it out in our waste bin or dog waste bins. If the bin is full, please take it home and dispose of it there.

My neighbour is having a BBQ in her backyard with her friends. Isn’t that going against the Provincial Order? Who do I call to report this?

People who live in the same household can have a BBQ together in their own backyard. However, gatherings of more than five people not from the same household is a violation of a Provincial Order – call 311 to report. 

I know of a business that is open that is considered non-essential. They are also not adhering to physical distancing – who can I report this to?

Residents who wish to report non-compliant businesses that are bars, restaurants and other food premises can contact Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700

Residents who wish to report any other non-compliant businesses can call 311.

For businesses not managing/providing appropriate physical distancing measures (and other health guidelines) for customers – i.e., lineups, crowd management, please call 311.

Residents who wish to report any employer/employee complaints or other matters related occupational health and safety should contact the Ministry of Labour at 1-877-202-0008 .
Reporting a non-compliant food establishment
Call Peel Public Health 905-799-7700. Food establishments include:
  • Bar
  • Restaurant
Other businesses like grocery stores, convenience stores, discount and big box retailers selling groceries, restaurants (take-out, drive-through and delivery service only), beer and wine and liquor stores.

My pool needs to be opened. Can I hire a pool company to come clean it?

Yes. According to Ontario Regulation 82/20 (the Essential Businesses Order), “maintenance, repair and property management services strictly necessary to manage and maintain the safety, security, sanitation and essential operation of institutional, commercial, industrial and residential properties and buildings are permitted.
Essential services can include:
·          Pool openings and/or liner repairs/replacement in order to sanitize water, prevent stagnant water from pooling and to prevent the breeding of insects to reduce the risk of West Nile Virus

·          Repair/Replacement of pool equipment that is required to circulate and sanitize pool/spa water – filters, pumps, water lines, gas lines, electrical panels.

·          Repair of pool sump pumps required to divert rain water.

I’d like to have my lawn cut. Can I hire a landscaping company?

Yes. According to Ontario Regulation 82/20 (the Essential Businesses Order), “maintenance, repair and property management services strictly necessary to manage and maintain the safety, security, sanitation and essential operation of institutional, commercial, industrial and residential properties and buildings are permitted.
Essential services can include turf maintenance (mowing, fertilizing, seeding, weeding, aeration), removal of invasive species, tree maintenance and removals.
Non-essential services include horticulture (planting) and other services for aesthetic purposes only.
Latest Updates
Region of Peel + City of Mississauga both Launch COVID-19 Data Dashboards

As part of the on-going response to COVID-19, the Region of Peel and the City of Mississauga understand that residents are keen to access COVID-19 related data. Many of you will note that I have been posting daily case updates on my Facebook page, however, with the launch of these new dashboards, I will no longer be posting daily update, but will instead point readers toward this information.

This dashboard provides information for the entire Region of Peel

This dashboard provides information specific to the City of Mississauga
Enforcement Actions

Security Officers are patrolling parks and are educating and enforcing emergency orders to limit gatherings of 5 or more (unless living in same household) and issuing fines of at least $750 where applicable.

Our park facilities continue to remain closed until further notice. Anyone caught using equipment like skate parks, basketball courts, playgrounds or adult fitness will be fined a minimum of $750.

Those found littering medical gloves, masks or any other personal protective equipment (PPE) can face littering fines starting at $365
Waste Collection Update

I am pleased that Region Council adopted my motion 2 weeks ago to provide additional waste collection without requiring paid tags and to allow garbage at the CRCs with no fees.

Starting Monday, April 20, every household can place up to two extra garbage bags at the curb on their scheduled garbage collection day, without requiring bag tags.
Bulky items that do not fit into your bin or garbage bags will not be picked up:
  • at the curb,
  • in apartments/condominiums
  • or accepted at Community Recycling Centres.

Please note:
  • Spring curbside battery pick up is suspended.
  • Put gloves, masks and other home healthcare waste in your garbage, not in recycling.
  • In-person garbage bag tag sales are suspended at all municipal facilities in Peel.

Community Recycling Centres (CRCs)

Peel CRCs are currently not accepting electronics, tires, large appliances (such as stoves, fridges and dishwashers) or bulky items.

Fees and items for purchase
  • As of April 15, disposal fees are waived.
  • Rain barrel and backyard composter sales have been suspended.
  • Compost sales have been suspended.
  • Kitchen container sales have been suspended.

For more details, click here .

  • NOTE: Dumping household waste and garbage is unacceptable and in contravention of the City’s Debris and Anti Littering By-law and is actively being enforced. Dumping can be reported online.
Peel Crime Prevention Webinars

Peel Regional Police invite you to participate in online interactive sessions that will educate residents on Crime Prevention in their community.

The first presentation will be on Tuesday April 28th and it will cover "Frauds and Scams" with specific reference to COVID-19 related frauds that have surfaced.

To register, send an email to 2105@peelpolice.ca for an invitation to the meeting. If you are on Twitter, please follow @PeelCrimePrev for more information.
Renewal Fees Deferred for Animal and Mobile Licenses

Renewal fees are being  deferred  for Pet licensing and the Mobile Licensing until June 1 or 30 days after the re-opening of public counters.
New Mississauga Web Resource for Older Adults

The City of Mississauga is focused on supporting our older adult community. As such, the City has launched a new webpage that provides guidance for older residents and their caregivers to help meet their needs.

Activities and Resources to Keep Residents Engaged and Active at Home

The City has put together several online resources for residents during this time. These are for residents and businesses so please check them out.

For free resources and activities from Mississauga's Recreation and Library that residents can do at home, click here .
Free Webinars Available for Small and Medium Sized Businesses

The City of Mississauga’s Economic Development Office is providing free webinars for small and medium sized businesses in Mississauga responding to COVID-19 to help support them during this difficult time.

Visit the EDO website to find one that can help you and your business needs.

In addition, the following paid webinars are also available.
  • How to use LinkedIn to Grow your Business – May 5
  • 10 Steps to Starting Your Own Business – May 7

PPE Donations for Peel Region

Residents and businesses in Peel are doing their part to help stop the spread of COVID-19. If you or your business would like to donate unused, unopened and unexpired Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to help, we'll arrange a courier to pick it up, or you can drop it off at one of our drop-off locations. Courier services are for large donations only.

Currently accepting:
  • N95 masks
  • Surgical masks
  • Surgical gowns
  • Surgical gloves

For more information on donating, please click these links below:

o   Region of Peel:  peelregion.ca/coronavirus/donations/
o   Trillium Health Partners https://trilliumgiving.ca/ppe/
o   William Osler Health System: www.williamoslerhs.ca/ppedrive
Helpful Resources
Region of Peel COVID-19

The Region’s Coronavirus webpage: has a wide range of information for Peel residents and businesses, including:

  • Regularly updated information regarding the various support services available to residents

Trillium Health Partners Assessment Centres (Mississauga)

Mississauga Hospital
Clinical Administrative Building
15 Bronte College Court
Mississauga, ON J4Y 0K7
Credit Valley Hospital
Valley House
2200 Erin Mills Parkway
Mississauga, ON L5M 7S4
Province of Ontario

Essential Businesses
Premier Ford announced a mandatory shutdown for all non-essential services in the province of Ontario. For a full list of essential services,  please click here  .

The Province has launched a toll free hotline provide support to Ontario businesses who have questions about the province's emergency order to close at-risk workplaces following recommendations by Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health.

Businesses can call the  Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659. 
Help is available from Monday to Sunday, from 8:30 a.m.―5:00 p.m. .

Federal Government

Wage Boost for Essential Workers
The Federal Government will work with Provinces and Territories to boost wages for essential workers who are making under $2,500 a month, like many of those who work in long-term care homes.

Starting April 15, 2020, there will be more flexibility on the admissibility criteria to enable more people to benefit from CERB. Those who are earning $1,000 a month or less, seasonal workers, those who have recently used up their EI benefits as of January 1 st, can now apply to receive the CERB. In addition, Artists who did not work before COVID-19 will now be included in the CERB.


Councillor Pat Saito | City of Mississauga | 905-896-5900 | pat.saito@mississauga.ca | ward9.ca