May 7, 2020
Dear ESD Member,
First and foremost, I hope that you and your family are well and staying safe. We find ourselves in unsettling times and dealing with COVID-19 has presented many challenges for all of us. I wanted to reach out and let you know that I and the ESD staff are thinking of you and are here to support you in any way that we can.
To keep ESD employees safe, we have adopted a work-from-home policy to ensure our work continues. All staff remain employed and have been busy rescheduling events and shifting the way we present some of our programming. Keeping people connected is what we do at ESD, and we are working diligently to continue making that happen for our members. Here is a brief update on what we’ve been working on:
- Spring and summer programs have been rescheduled for the fall; no programs have been canceled. Staff is currently preparing for these events.
- ESD’s Winter FE and PE Review Course program transitioned to an online platform so attendees could successfully complete the program during the stay-at-home order. Staff is looking at options to continue offering this online training in the future which will enable us to extend our reach throughout the state.
- ESD’s high school and college scholarship program will continue. Scholarships will be awarded this summer to help foster the next generation of engineering talent.
- The fourth year of our Girls in Engineering Academy gets underway this July with a new, dynamic online format. This program is important to our middle school students as we provide them with STEM enrichment education and inspire them to become engineers.
- Currently registering teams for the 2021 Future City Competition. ESD has provided this program, which increases middle school students motivation and excitement about STEM, for 26 years. This year’s theme will involve building a city on the moon!
As you may know, ESD was founded 125 years ago this month. We are planning some events this fall to celebrate. Stay tuned for more information. In the meantime, you may hear from our Member Services Specialist, Fran Mahoney. Fran recently celebrated her 30 year anniversary with ESD! She is currently calling members to keep in touch during this stay-at-home time.
Thank you for your support and service to the Society. ESD would not be celebrating 125 years if it were not for members like you.
The Engineering Society of Detroit
248-353-0735, ext. 118