Interim Minister (IM) Search Update
This update will cover the major comments the Interim Minister Search Committee has received from church members and an IM process update.
On Sunday, April 28th after the service, the Committee welcomed over 50 church members to a listening Town Hall Meeting to solicit discussions and concerns about the selection of an Interim Minister. (We also
received input from several members who were unable to attend the meeting.) During the hour-long meeting, members completed and submitted a 4-question survey about their concerns and suggestions with discussions following. Here is a synopsis of the predominant responses to the 4 question areas:
What do you value most about this congregation? What does it mean to you? How long have you
been a member? (Top 5 response categories.)
• This is my real community/supportive community
• Individual members/friends
• Openness & acceptance of all
• Social justice ministry/ L.I.F.E.
• Allison’s ministry/ good sermons
Average years of membership represented: 9.9 years
Based on your assessment of the current needs of our congregation, describe below the primary
area(s) of focus for our IM.
• Bridging inter-generational gaps/ Congregational harmony, cohesion
• Attract more members
• Pastoral care/ Home visits
• RE, support for families with kids
• Helping us develop a new dream for our future/ nurture our mission
Please list the strengths you think we should look for in an IM.
• Bring in new members with dynamic sermons
• Positive in human relationships, listening & leadership skills
• Able to unite members & youth
• Openness, friendliness, engaging, good communicator
#4: Describe any programs or traditions which the IM should maintain.
• RE/ Time for All Ages / OWL
• Centering/ Stone ceremony/ Meditation
• Good music program
• Social Justice efforts/ L.I.F.E.
• Caring & Sharing services
Anyone who was unable to submit their answers to these 4 question areas is welcome to submit them
well-positioned to proceed with the final steps in the IM process and make a recommendation to the
Board of Trustees for their final deliberations.
So far, the Committee has received 3 inquiries for our IM request. We have interviewed IM candidates
using concerns we received from the Town Hall discussions.
After checking out references for our candidates, the Committee will make a recommendation
to the Board this week.
Based on the Board’s decisions, the Church will submit a “yes/no/maybe” response to the UUA
on or before May 13.
On May 15 at noon, UUCFM will submit an offer to our IM of choice.
By June 11, a recommended engagement letter will have been worked out with the IM and
submitted to the Board for deliberation.
By mid-June, a “final” engagement letter will be offered to the IM.
August 1, we welcome our new IM.
This dateline assumes the successful completion of the tasks before each date and our reaching
agreement with the IM of of choice. We are working with our IM UUA coach on alternative scenarios
should the need arise.