Many years ago, a veteran in the commercial equipment leasing and finance industry explained to a young originator that he had no problems that a little bit of business would not fix. Those words still ring true. A little bit of additional business improves an originator's attitude. A little bit of additional business confirms that there are always more opportunities in the market. A little bit of additional business provides an originator with the confidence to win the next deal. A little bit of additional business provides the financial security that is needed to focus on being more successful. A little bit of additional business takes the pressure off and allows an originator to move forward, rather than backward. Business breeds more business. Success breeds more success.
So, the question is: How do we generate just a little bit more business? Over 35 years ago that veteran explained the solution to me (the young originator) with the following statements:
- Take control of your own destiny. Don't look to others to hand you new opportunities - go out and find your own new opportunities every day.
- Don't give up. If you need to stay late or arrive early to hit your numbers, so be it.
- Celebrate your little successes because they quickly add up to big accomplishments.
- Expect to fail often and learn from your mistakes.
- Never stop learning and have the flexibility to adapt to market changes. Our industry's greatest strength is its ability to adapt. Be part of the next change.
- Treat everyone fairly and they will refer you to bigger and better clients.
- Promote yourself, your company, and the industry.
During more challenging times, originators need to be reminded that the commercial equipment leasing and finance industry is strong because of its ability to adapt and provide needed capital to businesses throughout the economy. Each originator is a vital part of the recovery and has the ability to exceed his or her wildest expectations. Success depends upon YOU. We have no problems that a little bit of business will not fix.
Survive - Thrive - Lead
This "Sales Tip" is provided by Wheeler Business Consulting.
Comments, questions and suggestions regarding
weekly tips are welcome.