Back to Basics
Originators in the commercial equipment leasing and finance industry often need to be reminded that the basics work in all economies. Sales success is driven by quality transactions, quality relationships, and quality professionals. Seasoned originators are well aware that credit requirements will rightfully be tightening and credit decisions will be more conservative for the foreseeable future. Many of the expansive application-only programs which have been typical over the past few years (ex. application-only programs in the six figures) will be reduced and/or eliminated. Easy, cheap funds will disappear for unworthy credit requests. As a result, top producers are dusting off their old credit manuals and credit classes from years' past and are preparing for the recovery which will start to develop over the coming months. Top producers in the recovery will:
- Be well connected with their clients. They will ask the tough questions. As advisors, top producers will understand their clients' business model, strategy, and objectives.
- Have the capability to review financial results and , projections. They will be able to explain financial challenges and offer mitigating factors to both their credit departments and clients.
- Be willing to review financial ratios and collateral positions in order to structure transactions which meet their clients' financial needs while protecting their company's risks.
- Be strong financial advisors who focus on transactions that can be won and funded.
- Be informed professionals who work closely with their credit departments and funders to originate the highest quality assets at reasonable returns.
The commercial equipment leasing and finance industry has had challenges in the past. It is during these times that strong professionals shine.Top originators will continue to outperform their competitors because they fully understand the importance of having all the information needed to properly adjudicate a transaction. Top originators identify the strengths of a transaction, explain the challenges, and mitigate the risks. Top originators are strong credit professionals who can properly develop a completed credit package for consideration.
If your credit understanding is lacking, now is the time to strengthen your credit skills. Find a credit mentor. Invest in yourself. Become a well-rounded industry participant by fully understanding financial statement analysis and the three C's of credit.
Credit Skills Matter
This "Sales Tip" is provided by Wheeler Business Consulting.
Comments, questions and suggestions regarding
weekly tips are welcome.