Plans for Autumn 2020: A Message from the Senior Pastor
Fall is here and there is movement in regard to live in person worship at Pilgrim Church of Duxbury UCC.
It has been a long time since we have been together in person. I am looking forward as we safely dip our toes back into the waters of being together again. Let me cut straight to the substance of our plan.
We will be meeting outside for the remainder of the month, weather permitting. We will update information on the website and Facebook if any cancelations are in order.
- We are asking for Pre- Registration if you are coming, to limit the number to the state mandated level (50). Please call the church office or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will be in the back-playground area for worship
- Bring your own chair if you are able (limited number available here)
- Wear a mask, dress warm, bring a warm drink if desired
- We will be socially distant in our seating arrangement
- We will not be singing, but toe-tapping and humming is just as special to God!
- Offering will be taken as you enter the area in a special box
- One page Bulletins are available.
Our Diaconate and Church Council members have worked hard on this plan to get together.
I am very proud of their efforts.
On Sunday, October 4th, the worship service will be open only to our Confirmation class members, their families, and Mentors. We will welcome 11 members into the life of our church with their affirmation of their Baptisms and beliefs in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. If need be, we will move the service inside on this Sunday due to weather concerns.
Towards the end of the month, we will decide on in person worship inside. The virus is still active, so we are relying on your honesty and responsibility to stay home if you are symptomatic.
Sunday School classes are being held in person and on line. Angelique will be informing all parents of these options. Youth Groups will be starting a hybrid model as well, along with our new Confirmation class.
My friends, I believe it is possible, during this challenging time, to weave the strands of the Pilgrim Church community into even more beautiful patterns. To do this, we need your help! We want to add your ideas to the picture that is emerging.
- How can we best care for our members?
- best engage the world?
- best live out our faith, right now?
- What do you believe God is calling us to do to draw people deeper into engagement with Jesus Christ and with the gospel that binds our hearts together and gives us a vision for a better world?
I fully support this direction for our beloved community. In its almost 180 year history, Pilgrim Church of Duxbury UCC has faced challenges head-on with faith and love, and will continue to do so! At every step along the way, this congregation has figured out how to live out a vibrant faith.
I am utterly confident we will grow in faith as we go about this work. And I trust that you will do your best to help facilitate Pilgrim Church of Duxbury UCC becoming the church God is calling us to be in this season: a resilient community—stubbornly determined to display Christ’s light, salt and love to the world!
Rev Bill Ferguson